• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

conjunctivitis??

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
I think Aristotle may have conjuctivitis in his left eye. Just last night I noticed he was favoring the eye - keeping it closed. This morning I see that the lower lid is pink and a little swollen when he opens it. There is no discharge, his poops are normal, and he isn't fluffed up. Just favoring the eye. I know he should see an avian vet, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I know it can turn into respiritory problems if left untreated. Last night I thought he may have just scratched it or something, but this morning I know its probably something more. I won't be able to get him to the vet til Monday. Resent car trouble has depleated our usual savings for emergencies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bumping this!
Poor baby! Have you lowered the bottom lid to see if something may be in the eye, like a seed shell possibly? Use a warm wet cotton ball to bathe it.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, they can get eye infections but other things can be a problem. He could have something in his eye. Or, he could have scratched his eye. Whatever is irritating the eye will cause him to rub it which can make it worse. A vet visit is probably in order.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Can saline (for contacts) be used to rinse his eye if he has something in it? Or just plain water? I have distilled water since I'm sure clorinated water would only irritate it further. I'm going to check in a minute to see if he has something in his eye - need a back up pair of hands first..

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Can saline (for contacts) be used to rinse his eye if he has something in it? Or just plain water? I have distilled water since I'm sure clorinated water would only irritate it further. I'm going to check in a minute to see if he has something in his eye - need a back up pair of hands first..
Yes, you can use saline solution to wash debris from your birds eyes. The irritation may be temporary from debris or allergy. If it does not clear up go to your avian vet. In case of conjunctivitis make sure you wash your hand before and after handling your bird.

Keep us posted.

Gary

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
I checked his eye and I didn't see anything in it. My daughter said he squaked last night when he was eating seeds, so maybe he scratched it last night with a seed hull.. I will be keeping an eye on him. If it's not better by Monday, he will be seeing the vet.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would continue to bathe it daily with warm saline water till you get to the vets. I hope he feels better soon.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby,I hope he will be ok.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Well, his eye isn't WORSE but it's still not any better. He goes in tomorrow at 4pm, so we'll see what the a.vet says. Don't want it getting any worse. My friend's GCC had conjunctivitis and she didn't catch on for about a week. By that time it was turning into a respiritory infection that required antibiotics and eye drops. I'd like to avoid that path!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Hope everything turn out well at the vets.:heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping the vet will be able to find the issue.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Udate on Aristotle. He doesn't seem to have any infection. The vet did an eye stain to check for a scratch and there wasn't one. He is to get one drop twice a day in his eye for a week. Except for his eye, everything is great!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.