• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Congratulations to May's Mayor of the Avenue~~~Welshanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Welshanne always has wise words to add to members, concerns, problems, and questions about birds and life :)

Count on her to always have something important to contribute.
That is why you are Mayor :)

Thank you for being so supportive to everyone :)

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

African Grey now ten yrs old female but named Leroy!
African Grey now five yrs old female named Scooby.
Timneh Grey now five yrs old male named Rambo.
Hybrid Macaw now eight yrs old male named Chaz.
Blue fronted Amazon thirteen yrs old male named Jaws, I mean Jay!:rofl:

2. what got you interested in birds?

When I was about 3yrs old an old Uncle bedridden was left an African Grey in a will and she was quite an old bird named Laura. We picked her up from our local train station, in the Welsh coalmining valley and nobody had ever seen an African Grey or knew anything about them before then. I just fell in love with her and she with me. I vowed one day I would have one. Spent all my time reading as much as I could about them etc.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

That is a difficult one to answer. They have brought lots of love, laughter, tears and colour into my life.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience and how to laugh easily. How they never cease to amaze me and fill me with wonder when you least expect them to.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first time Leroy ever said " I love you" and knowing she meant every word. Also when not feeling well she came out with "Are you alright Ann?"

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Anywhere in our bungalow. Where we are they are. their cages have wheels on them and they travel from dining room to conservatory to outside in the nicer weather and back to the sittingroom in the evenings where they are free.

7. Did you change things in your home to accomodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes nearly everything has been changed to make life easier with our birds. Hard wood floor put down in their sleep room. Furniture moved and disposed of to make room for all their cages.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Yes the SCA Society for the conservation of Aviculture. Raising money for the saving of parrots who are abused/need rehoming for lots of sad reasons etc.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A safe covered outside aviary for the nicer weather, I can dream on can't I?:rofl:

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

If Iwas a lot younger and a bigger home, a blue and gold Macaw springs to mind. But I am blessed with five beautiful parrots and they are my limit.

11.Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

.We all wake up about the same time, 7am and John and I sit up in bed drinking our first hot drink for the day chatting with our three dogs around us. The birds are all uncovered in their bedroom next to ours and with both doors open we chat to each other.
we all have our breakfast together in the diningroom with the birds in their cages dotted around the table. They eat their red palm oil on a finger of toast while we eat our cereal etc.
They are then cleaned out and fresh food bowls and water bowl added and moved into the conservatory where they have their shower.
If the weather is warm they go outside into the sunshine and are placed wherever we happen to be working on the garden so we can continue to hold a conversation with them and they can see us.
In for our lunch together. We all have half an hour nap (birds included, heads under their wings) Then they help me with the afternoons work, might be card making, painting, silk painting, icing, baking etc. They love to sample whatever I am making and kick up a shinding if not offered any!
They are fed their evening meal usually a warm one and then moved into the sitting room, where first of all Jay the amazon is let out on his own for a few hours and then put back into his cage on the t stick and chaz and the greys are let out until their time to be covered at 7.30pm. Rambo the timneh goes upstairs on our son Steve's sleeve as soon as he comes in from his work, and he stays with him until 7pm when he comes down for his last meal before being covered with the rest. He has a small cage in his flat for his use, but spends most of the time velcrode to Steve's shoulder or chest!
They are wheeled into their room at the far end of the house and covered with dark throws and the curtains closed to keep out any light. All kissed goodnight (except jay, who would probably rip my lips off!) and they are quiet and peaceful until uncovered next morning.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

You can do a lot of reading up of the species, but the actual day to day experience with them gives you a wealth of experience that we all enjoy sharing with one another. that I have found to be invaluable in the past when I have needed urgent help. Going onto the Avenue is like going home.:heart:

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Have tried to have them when we were a lot younger. Think we missed out on a lot over the years of not having any.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Being the one support system for an ailing husband and a son that needs support, I enjoy so much the classes two mornings a week at a village hall being taught advanced Icing making flowers/modelling etc and also the silk painting that I started a term ago and am continuing to enjoy.
Card making for all my family and friends keeps me busy in the Winter evenings and the five birds just love to help bymaking confetti out of the discarded bits of card!
Have written a few short stories and had them published in magazines in past years.
Thinking of starting my fourth rocking horse, having made three for our great grandsons. Not sure who the fourth one will be for, but just want to make one to remember our 42yr old palamino by when she is no longer with us. Think that is enough dont you?:rofl:

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Only to thank you for thinking of me,and to have this opportunity to say a big thank you to you all for showing me so much patience and kindness when I have been full of questions or getting into a pickle with using my computer! God bless.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Love you Ann! Congrats!

Ginger

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Congratulations Ann! I enjoyed reading about you, your family and your birds...including Jaws! lol

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing Welshanne and Congratulations!:dance4:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Ann a big congrats to you! You are totally deserving of this title. We really enjoy having you as part of the Avenue and enjoy all of your funny comments and your very knowledgeable advise. AA wouldn't be the same without you!:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Congratulations Ann...I loved reading the interview and I love you..what a fabulous choice..:hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Congratulations Ann!!! Fantastic! :hug8:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Congratulations to you, Anne, across the Pond. You are a delight to hear from. You have a wise and giving heart and your presence is felt deeply by those of us on the Avenue.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Ann congratulations! What a wonderful interview. I aspire to be just like you when I am a "senior" :hug8:
You truely live life to its fullest and you make me smile with your zest for life.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How wonderful! I'm so happy for you Ann! :starshower:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! That was a wonderful write up.

Matt

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
The Avenue wouldn't be the same without you, Anne! CONGRATS and thanks for the great interview!:heart:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Congratulations Ann....!!!!!!!!!!!:hug8:

Loved reading abt you and your family

Status
Not open for further replies.