• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Congo African Grey Parrot-Really noisy baby

lucian

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lucian
Hi,
I recently bought a Congo African Grey who's 4 months old. I've had him for about 3 weeks now but during the last week or so he's been making these constant squeaks which are loud and piercing. He does this when he's in his cage, when his walking around the house, climbing his jungle gym, eating his fruit and veggies, while we're playing with him and while we're talking to him. When he can't see or hear me then the noise stops after a while but then as soon as he hears my voice, he starts the squeaking again. He also doesn't play with any of his toys. I just need to know whether this is normal?

Attachments

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
The non-stop talking, noises, usually happen only when Ella is in her cage. She is entertaining herself learning words and thinks talking loudly and all the new sounds will help her with her endeavor. :laugh: Quite normal for an African Grey baby, Ella is 8 months old and only time she is quiet is when she is playing with her toys. It took Ella a bit to start playing with her toys now there is no stopping her from tearing wood toys to shreds. :D

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
He sounds like a happy birdie.
I am sure he will eventually play with toys if you play with them.
Welcome!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's adorable! It sounds like he is experimenting with his voice. Try a variety of different toys, and make them irresistible to him by playing with them yourself!

lucian

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lucian
Thank you all for the fast replay. I will get some more interesting toys to see if that will make him take some rest from making that noice:). We were afraid that the reason of this sound is from being hungry or having some digestion problems. Because he likes sun flower seeds a lot, and we know that these seeds are to fat for him, so we are trying to reduce it from him diet.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
The constant squeaking could very well be a baby crying to be fed. At 4 months, he's barely or just weaned, or perhaps you're even still hand-feeding?

Many weaned babies revert back to begging once they get to their new home. 4 months is pretty young.

Try offering some warm food by hand when he makes these sounds. Cooked mashed sweet potato, scrambled egg (no butter), soft cooked vegatables, etc..

Make sure nothing is hot! Just warm.