• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confused after the vet visit

Raisins

Sitting on the front steps
I brought one of my budgies to the vet today because she had dirty feathers around the vent and I have been worried about her increasing weight. They did an x-ray on her and diagnosed her with a lipoma.

They understandably prescribed a diet. The prescribed seed mix seems to have the same ingredients as the older one, but the ratio of the millet seeds to other seeds seems to be fewer, so that might be why it is healthier. What confused me is that they told me to stop adding pellets and vegetables into their food for a while. This seems to conflict with all the diet advise I read on the internet. I think she had the lipoma since last year, but it was only visible when you search for it around her abdomen. A different vet, also trained to treat birds, I visited last year concluded that it was an egg, but after no egg was passed for several days, I thought that they scammed me and switched to the vet that we see now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did they give you a reason as to why they suggested that diet change?

Raisins

Sitting on the front steps
Did they give you a reason as to why they suggested that diet change?
They only said so many types of food were probably be causing her to be overweight and she has to only eat prescribed food because of this for two weeks. I mean, I'm going to do what they said, but it confused me nevertheless.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They only said so many types of food were probably be causing her to be overweight and she has to only eat prescribed food because of this for two weeks. I mean, I'm going to do what they said, but it confused me nevertheless.
It is confusing for sure. To me it is a flawed logic, seeing as how veggies and pellets are both lower in fat, and a diet change of two weeks seems rather pointless when we are talking about weight loss. That should be a slow journey. I am not telling you not to listen to your vet, just that I would probably ask more questions so you understand their case. Sometimes they have information that they are using but forget to divulge :)