• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confidence

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hey y'all! So this question is more-so for myself this time, rather than for Kiwi. Now, take in mind that I am a first time bird mom, and happen to be quite an anxious person :)

I've decided to let Kiwi's wings grow out during this molt, I've had her since august, and she's been clipped the whole time. She has about 3 on each side that have grown in at this point, and watching her grow comfortable and more confident in the air is the both the most rewarding and nerve-wracking thing in the world for me.

Did anyone else get nervous or anxious when your bird got a zoomie fit and would reach new heights and speeds? How did you get over that?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nope - I don't get anxious nor nervous about much of anything. All I felt when my Jasper began to fly better and better was pure joy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
when your bird got a zoomie fit and would reach new heights and speeds?
I have no experience with clipped birds, but I have one little guy who whips around so fast! Jaime. He´s incredibly quick and twists and turns in the air, zooming around. Truly fascinating to watch!

I think, as long as you do your best to bird safe the area, there´s nothing to be nervous about. The more safer landing places the better. And having nets or curtains hanging a foot from the walls can avoid crashes.

I´ve also never been nervous or anxious about any of my birds flights. If I had a clipped bird learning to fly, would I be nervous? I don´t think so. I would trust the bird to find their wings I guess.

I´m glad you are making this decision to allow your bird to fly. I´m sure they will be much happier :)

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Nope - I don't get anxious nor nervous about much of anything. All I felt when my Jasper began to fly better and better was pure joy.
I wish! It doesn't happen too too often, sometimes she'll get a little spook or excited and just take off and there's a moment of "oh no", but there is also a lot of joy! It's fascinating to watch her

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
I have no experience with clipped birds, but I have one little guy who whips around so fast! Jaime. He´s incredibly quick and twists and turns in the air, zooming around. Truly fascinating to watch!

I think, as long as you do your best to bird safe the area, there´s nothing to be nervous about. The more safer landing places the better. And having nets or curtains hanging a foot from the walls can avoid crashes.

I´ve also never been nervous or anxious about any of my birds flights. If I had a clipped bird learning to fly, would I be nervous? I don´t think so. I would trust the bird to find their wings I guess.

I´m glad you are making this decision to allow your bird to fly. I´m sure they will be much happier :)
Kiwi spent her clipped days catching some air around the living room and kitchen when the dogs aren't home, so I think she ran her crash course then. During one of her bigger flight burst a few days ago she did very well in actively avoiding the windows and walls. She did a few loops through the room and eventually found her way back onto my head!