• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confessions of someone with “secret birds”...

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
No one knows budgies like budgies!

I think it is wonderful that you have a little flock developing :swoon::cloud9:

Congratulations!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@AussieBird I managed to get a picture of Marigold's eyes when s/he wouldn't go back to bed (someone made a loud noise right after they'd roosted & been covered). It is with flash, but I think I can confirm they don't look red.

Marigold.jpg

And while I'm reviving this thread, inquiring minds want to know... @Wardy Any updates on your e-mail trail of secret birds?! :tweety:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@AussieBird I managed to get a picture of Marigold's eyes when s/he wouldn't go back to bed (someone made a loud noise right after they'd roosted & been covered). It is with flash, but I think I can confirm they don't look red.

View attachment 394928

And while I'm reviving this thread, inquiring minds want to know... @Wardy Any updates on your e-mail trail of secret birds?! :tweety:
No updates things are stalled until i can offload my fishtank and make some space wont be until after christmas at the earliest birds are due to breed in December

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this your huge reef tank you're dismantling?! Seems a shame, but it would be a lot of maintenance!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this your huge reef tank you're dismantling?! Seems a shame, but it would be a lot of maintenance!
Yeah thats the one i cant do anything with it as im having problems with my back so physically cant manage it.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s too bad, but you’ve got to be realistic. The largest tank I’ve ever cared for was 29 gallons. I couldn’t manage that now. Here’s my 20 high. It’s more my speed now. :)

90D9F786-7927-4306-9036-51FEC842888A.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Woah that's one massive and gorgeous fish tank! That's so exciting that you maybe getting another Fid soonish though! Are you wanting another Greenie? If so what mutation?
I have the pick of the clutch from a turqoise if the parents breed in December however if i dont offload the tank will have to put things back.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have the pick of the clutch from a turqoise if the parents breed in December however if i dont offload the tank will have to put things back.
Ooh! I'm so jealous in a good way! A standard Turq has been my other dream bird for as long as a Crimson. I'd love to have a Turq to be a buddy for Tobias but I dont know that it will ever happen. Its a tight squeeze here for just one Fid so I'll probably have to wait til we move in the future.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooh! I'm so jealous in a good way! A standard Turq has been my other dream bird for as long as a Crimson. I'd love to have a Turq to be a buddy for Tobias but I dont know that it will ever happen. Its a tight squeeze here for just one Fid so I'll probably have to wait til we move in the future.
It will be a pineapple turq

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Congratulations!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Bird looks like a dark eyed clear and male

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, Budgiebonkers! I'm still sticking to the name Marigold. :cool: I believe Frosting, shown earlier in this thread, is male, so that means I still have just male budgies. At least I won't have to deal with eggs! :eek: I'm relieved. I just couldn't leave Marigold behind.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
So I’m here to, figuratively, eat crow. You guys were right. Winston wasn’t the final budgie. Before you prepare to roast me, realize that I had every intention he would be when I sagely declared him to be so.

Then I needed to buy budgie food. There was this yellow budgie swinging upside down on a millet spray, vying for anyone’s attention. S/he’ll be bought soon, I thought, with that personality. A week later, who was practically alone but this little sprite, still performing acrobatics.

I prudently went home, but, in the end, didn’t stay there. Marigold & a downtrodden looking budgie I’ve named Frosting came home with me.

My plans for a canary flight are obviously on hold now, but I should be able to buy a budgie flight cage this weekend, assuming someone doesn’t get there first (F040 in stock locally!).

I have budgie problem. If there are eggs, I’ll addle them. I understand that most yellow budgies are female even if they don’t look so when young. Here are the cuties.

View attachment 394153
View attachment 394154
You had to get them. They were lonely. Congrats! They are beautiful.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

View attachment 394928

You know I actually had thoughts that they were both boys...but I don’t trust myself completely when it come to these things.
Thank you for checking! I was being nosy about mutation, and now budgiebonker’s has said DEC I am off to figure out the difference between that and DF spangled :chin:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL! I'm off to read about mutations too. :laugh: I'd thought most yellow budgies were lutino, except for rare exceptions like Ripshod's.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
LOL! I'm off to read about mutations too. :laugh: I'd thought most yellow budgies were lutino, except for rare exceptions like Ripshod's.
If the eyes are red they’re lutino.
Black mean DF spangle or DEC. Same with white budgies.
I’ve had several DF spangle before and have a bit of a soft spot for them :xflove:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Thank you for checking! I was being nosy about mutation, and now budgiebonker’s has said DEC I am off to figure out the difference between that and DF spangled :chin:
Found it! DF spangled have an iris ring, DEC do not.