• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confessions of someone with “secret birds”...

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I’m here to, figuratively, eat crow. You guys were right. Winston wasn’t the final budgie. Before you prepare to roast me, realize that I had every intention he would be when I sagely declared him to be so.

Then I needed to buy budgie food. There was this yellow budgie swinging upside down on a millet spray, vying for anyone’s attention. S/he’ll be bought soon, I thought, with that personality. A week later, who was practically alone but this little sprite, still performing acrobatics.

I prudently went home, but, in the end, didn’t stay there. Marigold & a downtrodden looking budgie I’ve named Frosting came home with me.

My plans for a canary flight are obviously on hold now, but I should be able to buy a budgie flight cage this weekend, assuming someone doesn’t get there first (F040 in stock locally!).

I have budgie problem. If there are eggs, I’ll addle them. I understand that most yellow budgies are female even if they don’t look so when young. Here are the cuties.

C4632E2A-3B5E-4CAB-BE9B-7F9230C01028.jpeg
7978F5EE-40C3-4B67-8E41-39EB69909C43.jpeg

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh my oh my. :D Congratulations, that's wonderful. Lucky birdies!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww cuties!! :heart:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats! I have not heard that expression before, very useful.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:cngrt5:
Welcome to the Six Budgie Flock Squad!
(That is totally not a thing I just made up :innocent:)
Anyone else have secret birds? :sherlo:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:laughing6: brilliant they are lovely

i dont think we can help ourselves especially if you see the bird in question i got KiKi after noticing she was on the website i got Mojo from for weeks with no one apparently showing interest and i felt sorry for her i have no regrets now and my wife has stopped giving me a hard time mostly.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww!! So precious!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@AussieBird I'm not sure. Marigold's eyes look black to me, or at least very dark. They're still quite skittish, so it's hard to see, but they look the same as Frosting's.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Hey, you did the right thing. I went in with a totally tame budgie. Knowing that I was probably getting a male to my very tame and feisty female. I did it because it was best for her. Thankfully all is well. If there are eggs I will deal. Not looking like a possibility at this point but who knows. Sammy is getting to boss somebody other than me around and Scout is a happy little guy who does not fear me. Their politics are their own but I'm a welcome onlooker so all is good. Incidentally I was also an advocate for a solitary budgie...now I have 2 that own me...

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Anyone else have secret birds? :sherlo:
My other two birds aren't really a secret, but I think I've only mentioned them once. I have two budgies named Bubu and Daisy, plus I had an old budgie that was rehomed to my sister. None of them are really tame, we're working on it.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The F040 Prevue Hendryx flight cage was in stock, so Marigold & Frosting have moved!

I found it easier to assemble than the two A&E Elegant flight cages that Pistachio, Marzipan, Aurelius & Winston live in. I had seen both assembled in store before attempting it myself, so it’s a fair comparison.

That said, the F040 is flimsy. I’d not put anything bigger or stronger than a budgie in it. I had to shelve my plan to put a really nice, huge, forked manzanita perch in, because it bent the wires. They are definitely made for very small birds!

The space is really nice. It has about 10” more interior space than the A&Es, though it would look nicer were it higher off the ground. All in all, I’m satisfied & it was lovely to get a third flight cage locally! So far, I haven’t had to buy any online.

Here they are in their new home!

15246B1C-40D4-40B8-9097-01FA84D3780F.jpeg

B6FD76BE-D926-49F2-8F38-1CCCCEFA3F99.jpeg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will they use the bottom half of the cage ?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m really not sure. It’s a good question. My other two cages aren’t as high, internally, & are off the ground more. These are recommended for budgies. I guess we’ll see.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mine don't tend to use the bottom half of their flight cage for perching or play, but I keep their food and treats down there so they at least have to visit.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're gorgeous. I hope you'll be very happy together.

I also hope that the crow is delicious :D

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Mine do use the bottom half of their flight. I just make sure to have perches and toys hanging at lower levels for them. I have to admit I also got two new budgies last week. My previous two were normal american budgie size. Well the same place i bought them from gets several that must have english lineage because the new ones weight in at 52 grams each. My friend also got hers from there over last few months and the smallest is 42 grams with the largest being 58 grams.