• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Concussion Question

atb87

Moving in
Hi Everyone. I recently rehomed a green cheek conure. (10 weeks ago) She is about 18 months and gets spooked easily as she was a neglected bird in the previous household. She hit my window very hard two days ago after getting spooked by the sound of me dropping a spoon. She was laying on her back without motion afterwards. I took her to an avian vet ER and she was seen by the vet within 2 hours. They admitted her overnight and Xrays ruled out fractures and soft tissue trauma. I've been told she did not have signs of ataxia. I am caring for her since the incident. (2 days) I trust the vet as the hospital is actually a teaching hospital for avian medicine. However, I kept getting vague answers to my questions. Furthermore, the vet clipped her wings horribly. (I agreed to clip in the heat of the moment, which I regret now) She is very weak but eats. Her poop looks normal. She doesn't do contact calls for my other bird. (she used to do that nonstop if they got separated in the past) I am giving her daily meloxicam as instructed. However, she can't perch. Her balance is off and she keeps falling when she's walking (on the floor). I attached a picture to show her foot. Her grip strength is good and she can climb to cage bars. She isn't preening much and sitting with puffed feathers. I have to add the napkin on the cage floor as her feet gets stuck between bars if I don't. She has feces under her and needs preening. I feel horrible about all this.

I'll try to see another avian vet tomorrow. Does anyone have experience in this area? Did your bird recover? I'm a human physician, I spent the Thanksgiving weekend researching avian health but I am very pessimistic and fear permanent nerve damage.

IMG_8275-preview.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor sweetie bless her little heart. I'm so sorry this happened to her. Let me tag another member who's Green Cheek is going through something very similar.
@falsk. I hope she can give you some ideas.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I really think you should call the vet and explain what you’re seeing and concerned about. Seeing another vet for a second opinion is a good idea if you’re questioning or unhappy with the communications from the original vet.
I also think keeping your bird in a smaller carrier or cage while it recovers fully is probably the safest for it so it can’t fall or get legs stuck anywhere.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Aside from concussion and other physical injuries, shock also plays a large part in bird-glass incidents. Everything you're describing would be typical symptoms of this.
Contact the vet and talk about this.

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Sorry for the delay— just seeing this now. This sounds remarkably similar to what I have been going through with my GCC. I'm surprised they said the xray is ruling out soft tissue damage. My conure had a fractured collar bone and couldn't articulate her foot at all. I was told to let her recover in a tank (while giving her meloxicam along with tramadol for pain). Her personality and vocalizing came back after about four days, but it took four weeks before she even began to show signs of movement in the foot. And every night before going to bed I would take her in my bedroom and keep it dim/quiet to prevent her from wanting to fly and would stretch out her toes to try and exercise them a bit.

Now, almost seven weeks later, it appears she has regained use of the foot. She's scheduled for an xray at the eight-week mark of her injury and has been given the all clear to move back into a small cage for recovery. I'm not totally positive what happened to her leg—xrays saw that there wasn't a break, but they were unsure if maybe she had an injury in the pelvis. I assumed it may have been nerve damage, which (from what I can tell through reading online) can take a long time to recover from. I hope things improve for your birdy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As I'm sure you are aware, as a physician, neural damage takes a long time to repair. We have a member whose Amazon had a head injury and it has taken months for the bird to show significant improvement. The bird still has one leg/foot that is not entirely ok.

Continue to do as the Dr.s say and keep her as quiet and inactive as possible until significant improvements are seen. A second opinion is never a bad idea with an injury like this one.