• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concure Parrots laid 1st and 2nd cluch back to back clueless

Countrysky

Moving in
Real Name
Hollie Rosenski
Our Concure Parrots have been together and never laid a clutch now at 10 years old she laid 2 back to back. We had no clue she was pregnant and the 1st egg broke when she had it in the water dish and figuring out what to do is how I think the other 2 went bad cause you can tell at 1 point each was fertile. Before I could have my husband pull the 1st confirmed loss out of the nesting box he quickly built but to late there were 3 and he was lost at what to do and I was gone for a few days. Now there are 7 eggs and she keeps laying eggs. Last time I checked 4 looked fertile and 2 weren't but we left them all together cause she's very protective and so is he. She laid number 7 the other day the last 2 eggs were a week apart. I haven't checked to see the fertile status of the eggs in over a week. Going to tomorrow. We are giving her extra calcium. He will bring her food and we will open the box side enough to feed her a carrot or a treat daily and he makes sure he gets her out to drink. It's amazing seeing them work together for their babies. We rescued them and thought we were way past this point. They bonded as babies and grew up together but I guess the people that bought them weren't counting on the long lifespan of the birds and the wouldn't mate even though they purposely bought a male green cheek and female sun concure. Any tips on how to get her to stop laying more eggs without hurting her or her eggs? She is such a good mama laying on them constantly. Any advise help we are lost.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you prepared to fully hand raise these chicks if they should hatch?

@Zara can hopefully link some helpful information and give you some helpful information

Countrysky

Moving in
Real Name
Hollie Rosenski
Yes we are. She is completely on top of everything with this 2nd clutch which I know was just to replace the ones she lost now. I know the 2 are bad from the 1st clutch and the others looked great when looking with the flash light. Right on time with when each one was laid. She is highly protective and very witchy. I open that box and he comes after me while she moves the eggs back and tries to hide them. She continues to sit on them constantly. So I'm making sure to watch her for any bold spots and giving her extra calcium her egg laying schedule is weird. We have the 1st egg of the new clutch may 3rd all up to 2 days ago was her last one. It was like something went off when she lost her 1st clutch and she is trying to make up for it and doing everything she should I'm just lost and clueless. We don't want to lose her and don't want her to lose her babies. We have thought about doing an incubator but since she's doing amazing laying on them and how protective they are we are afraid if we use this option to help her out she will start laying more eggs to replace those like she did with the 2nd clutch.
I saw someone giving advice with a bungie I believe about moving the cage moving toys around could get her to stop laying eggs wonder if that works for the concures too. They are 10 years old so this was extremely highly unexpected especially cause not breading was exactly why the 1st owners finally gave up and gave them to foster care where we adopted them. Whatever we need to do to keep her safe and healthy and her eggs and hopefully babies safe and healthy. Then we will take further steps to keep them from breading again once we get past this. When she lost her 1st clutch she looked so sad and miserable. She was looking for them. After the 1st one was found cracked in the water dish all I could think to do that night was put a soft towel at the bottom of the cage with some paper and stuff for her to rip up. So they wouldn't break if she had anymore until we could figure things out. She did go looking but I thought she abandoned the 1st clutch after losing the first egg and plugged in a baby wipe warmer where they could get to the eggs and not the cord til he could build the nest box which I feel horrible cause I know are lack of experience is why the last 2 of that clutch didn't make it. She looked so lost and miserable. Might sound stupid but all I could wonder if is she could get depressed like I did when we buried our twins but I read that you take 1 bad egg out at a time with atleast 48 hrs in-between then take away the nesting box but before he could take out the 1st egg she laid another and he didn't know which was which. So 2 of the 7 eggs are from April. She laid the 2nd clutch started may 3rd the 2nd eggs was the 4th then te 7th 13th and 20th. So it's really spread out. I haven't checked the eggs this week for fertility cause I didn't want to upset her. But I was also told if we upset her some she might stop. She hasn't stopped just slowed way down. Resized_20220521_032623.jpg

Countrysky

Moving in
Real Name
Hollie Rosenski
We rescued 2 concure Parrots a green cheek male and his mate of 10 years is a sun. They wouldn't lay a clutch and the original owners were upset cause at 10 years they aren't suppose to lay eggs after that so they gave them to foster care where we adopted them. Now they decide to lay eggs and it's not stopping. Worried for my babies and her babies.

Countrysky

Moving in
Real Name
Hollie Rosenski
2 clutches in 2 months lost 1st so she laid a replacement and is an incredible mama sitting on her eggs and protecting them. Guess even female birds snap back when told they're to old. He's an incredible partner and dad taking care of her and also being very protective.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
you should def boil the eggs! , esp since gcc x sun hybrids are known to have medical issues + low survival rate .
Once the parents have lost interest in the clutch , please remove the nest box straight away