• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerns of Female GCC not Eating during Incubation Period

sushi

Moving in
Hi folks,

This is my first time posting on Avian Avenue and I chose to post my question on Breeders Boulevard because I believe it is a question most relevant to breeding. That being said, I am a relatively new parrot owner and I have no intention to breed my parrots. Long story short, I have a bonded pair (15mo female green-cheeked conure and 2yo male black-capped conure). The female has laid 5 eggs in the past two weeks (she lays an egg every 2.5 days) and I have boiled every single egg. When she is producing the eggs, she would come out and eat 3 to 4 times a day and each time she eats, she eats plenty. It almost seems like she knows she needs more calcium and protein that she eats a lot of eggshells and pellets. However, after she finished laying her clutch, she refuses to come out to eat or drink water. I know that the male regurgitates to her, but is it ok that she does not come out at all? She only comes out once a day to poop and refuses any water or food I bring to her beak... There is a small brood batch on her chest. Other than that, she sounds loud and moves fast.

Ever since I got my first parrot over a year ago, I have found so many helpful posts on Avian Avenue. It is heart-warming to see all the experienced and enthusiastic parrot owners offering advice and comfort. A big thank you to everyone who replies in advance!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Normally the hen would stay in the nest box and be fed by the male. That's not to say she won't come out of the box to eat on her own though. Some males will drive their hens back to the box and discourage them from coming out. If she wasn't used to you trying to feed her then I can see why she wouldn't take any food from you. Are you sure she doesn't come out? She might when you aren't there to see it. I would be concerned about her getting enough nutrition if that's the case and hope the male is feeding her an ample amount of food. Keep a watch on him to see what he eats and how often he goes in the nest to feed her. I'm assuming you keep these two different species of Pyhurras together? Did you provide a nest box or did she lay the eggs someplace else in her cage? Good on you for boiling those eggs!

sushi

Moving in
Normally the hen would stay in the nest box and be fed by the male. That's not to say she won't come out of the box to eat on her own though. Some males will drive their hens back to the box and discourage them from coming out. If she wasn't used to you trying to feed her then I can see why she wouldn't take any food from you. Are you sure she doesn't come out? She might when you aren't there to see it. I would be concerned about her getting enough nutrition if that's the case and hope the male is feeding her an ample amount of food. Keep a watch on him to see what he eats and how often he goes in the nest to feed her. I'm assuming you keep these two different species of Pyhurras together? Did you provide a nest box or did she lay the eggs someplace else in her cage? Good on you for boiling those eggs!
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for replying. Yes! the male definitely makes attempts to keep the female inside the nest box. The female is tamed and used to me feeding her but she gets so aggressive whenever I approach the box. I tried all sorts of treats to coax her out in vain. I am pretty sure she doesn't come out to eat because I stay right next to them 24hours now due to the pandemic. The male is eating mostly pellets, some egg, some seeds, and plenty of veggies. He eats 4 times a day and spends half the daytime inside the box and the other half playing on his gym. I keep them in separate cages but when my vet said that the girl is expecting, I gave them a box and let them sleep there too. One of their eggs actually cracked a little but I still put it back with her. She..emm..ate it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for replying. Yes! the male definitely makes attempts to keep the female inside the nest box. The female is tamed and used to me feeding her but she gets so aggressive whenever I approach the box. I tried all sorts of treats to coax her out in vain. I am pretty sure she doesn't come out to eat because I stay right next to them 24hours now due to the pandemic. The male is eating mostly pellets, some egg, some seeds, and plenty of veggies. He eats 4 times a day and spends half the daytime inside the box and the other half playing on his gym. I keep them in separate cages but when my vet said that the girl is expecting, I gave them a box and let them sleep there too. One of their eggs actually cracked a little but I still put it back with her. She..emm..ate it.
It's natural for her to protect her nest. Even the sweetest hens will be pretty nasty towards their owners. Had you ever seen them mating? What kind of box/ nesting material/ did you put in their cage? Can we see a photo of it? Average incubation time is 24 days though it can vary between 22 and 25 days. Eventually they give up on the eggs and abandon the nest... which is when you want to remove the box. Keeping a box in would encourage them to nest again. Any other cracked eggs in the future you want to remove to prevent any from spilling over into the nest causing bacteria or fungal growth. Do you have a gram scale to weigh your birds? When it's possible you will want to weigh your hen and keep an eye on any weight loss if the male isn't feeding her enough. How did your vet know she was going to lay? Did you take her in to be examined over any concerns?

sushi

Moving in
Had you ever seen them mating? What kind of box/ nesting material/ did you put in their cage? Can we see a photo of it? Average incubation time is 24 days though it can vary between 22 and 25 days. Eventually they give up on the eggs and abandon the nest... which is when you want to remove the box. Keeping a box in would encourage them to nest again. Any other cracked eggs in the future you want to remove to prevent any from spilling over into the nest causing bacteria or fungal growth. Do you have a gram scale to weigh your birds? When it's possible you will want to weigh your hen and keep an eye on any weight loss if the male isn't feeding her enough. How did your vet know she was going to lay? Did you take her in to be examined over any concerns?
Oh yeah, they were doing it quite often. She is always a big girl. Her weight ranged 90-95g before and was 104 at the vet. I brought her to the vet because her belly looked swollen and she walked funny (dragging her butt around). The vet felt the egg in her abdomen and showed me how her swollen cloaca was pulsing. I converted our old cabinet into a nesting box but not sure what type of wood that is. I also used shreds from newspapers and printing paper as nesting material. Last night she finally came out to eat and drink water!! She did feel lighter than when she was laying eggs. I will try to weigh her next time she came out. :):)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh yeah, they were doing it quite often. She is always a big girl. Her weight ranged 90-95g before and was 104 at the vet. I brought her to the vet because her belly looked swollen and she walked funny (dragging her butt around). The vet felt the egg in her abdomen and showed me how her swollen cloaca was pulsing. I converted our old cabinet into a nesting box but not sure what type of wood that is. I also used shreds from newspapers and printing paper as nesting material. Last night she finally came out to eat and drink water!! She did feel lighter than when she was laying eggs. I will try to weigh her next time she came out. :):)
You said you kept them in separate cages.... how were they able to mate often? I'm glad you did take her to the vet. Some hens can become egg bound and that alone can have some serious issues if not tended to. This situation is likely to repeat itself if you allow them to mate again. When she comes out of that cabinet for good cover it up and give them no access to it. I'm glad you've seen her come out to eat and drink. As long as they are both on a pelleted diet with a very small percentage of seed, a good variety of fresh vegetables then I would highly suggest omitting the cooked egg you offer..... they get all they need from the other foods.

In one of my rooms where I keep a trio of crimson bellied conures there are two females and one male. All separately caged and allowed out when I'm in the room only. Both females get along with the male but the two girls ( sisters) would kill each other. Each female tries to mate with the male and I simply don't allow it. I'm the great interrupter! I've bred and raised the crimsons and green cheeks, haven't since 2009 and no interest in raising babies any more. Both of these girls were hatched here in 2009 and have yet to lay one egg. Could they without the interaction with a male... yes. More probable with mating.

sushi

Moving in
Both females get along with the male but the two girls ( sisters) would kill each other. Each female tries to mate with the male and I simply don't allow it. I'm the great interrupter!
So much bird drama :hilarious:

I on the other hand am not a very good interrupter. Both birds spend their day time outside cages. I am thinking of moving their cages around in the house next April to eliminate the risks of the female laying eggs again. I will get cooked egg out of their diet. Do I still mix cuttlebone powder in their food as suggested by the vet? Or is it only for when the female is laying eggs :confused:

The female came out to eat today again. Her weight dropped a little bit from 90 to 85. Will check with the vet after the incubation period is over. Thank you so much for all the help. You've been great :angelic:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So much bird drama :hilarious:

I on the other hand am not a very good interrupter. Both birds spend their day time outside cages. I am thinking of moving their cages around in the house next April to eliminate the risks of the female laying eggs again. I will get cooked egg out of their diet. Do I still mix cuttlebone powder in their food as suggested by the vet? Or is it only for when the female is laying eggs :confused:

The female came out to eat today again. Her weight dropped a little bit from 90 to 85. Will check with the vet after the incubation period is over. Thank you so much for all the help. You've been great :angelic:
The displays these two girls make towards each other is a whole lot of drama.. the attacks are severe. I don't leave that room when they're out.

Cuttlebone powder is not going to provide other essential ingredients to help the body absorb calcium unless your birds consume foods that have D3 ( pellets) A better source of calcium is Calciboost - a product that comes in liquid or powder form and has magnesium and D3 added to it. Recommendations are to use this product in egg laying hens five days a week and two days a week in non laying hens. I would think though, if the food you feed ( pellets) provide calcium and D3 along with fresh vegetables you would not need to supplement the diet outside of the egg laying period with the calciboost.

@Mizzely Thoughts?