• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned

Stryker

Checking out the neighborhood
So I got my quaker last Sunday, and he was allowed to freely escape his cage. When I put him in his new (secured) cage, all he does is try to escape, at least while I'm watching him. I'm concerned that being unable to escape like he's used to is causing him psychological harm while he's in the process of getting used to his new situation.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welave:
Hello!
How old is your quaker?
He used to escape st a different home? Or he escaped your first cage?
Can you tell me about your cage and set up?

If he is well socialized, of course he wants to be out with you. Parrot's but especially quaker s need lots of our of cage time. Cage should be for bedtimes, when you aren't home,, and when needed when you can't watch or hectic times like cooking, cleaning it such.

Can we see a pic of your new one,?

Stryker

Checking out the neighborhood
:welave:
Hello!
How old is your quaker?
He used to escape st a different home? Or he escaped your first cage?
Can you tell me about your cage and set up?

If he is well socialized, of course he wants to be out with you. Parrot's but especially quaker s need lots of our of cage time. Cage should be for bedtimes, when you aren't home,, and when needed when you can't watch or hectic times like cooking, cleaning it such.

Can we see a pic of your new one,?
Hi, and thanks for the welcome. He's one and a half years old. He was able to escape his cage with his previous owners. And of course, he's always out with me when I'm home, and he'd come with me everywhere if public places allowed it.
And here he is! His name is Akechi. Screenshot_20230307-185232-820.png

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Welcome Akechi!!! :swoon: gorgeous want to kiss floofy cheek s!

It will take time to get used to your routine and being caged more. Offer lots of toys .
And try some breif cage time with special treat like apple slice then let back out. Do trips to cage step in get treat back out. Trying to build positive association with cage time.
Birds have a mud day or mid morning nap time try to cage st that time breifly.
Plsy soothing soft music.

Set up fun foraging for treats while in cage. You can do together at first with cage open and you showing him a treat and then coveingbiy up.

With time , routines and working at it you can you can help him think of cage as a calm retreat time and help it be more positive and nit a frantic must break out if cage. But still needs lots of out of cage time for that to work.

I had my spoiled babies use to bring out 100/% during the day.....then I got real sick and had to have them caged....they screaming 12 hours straight! So when I recovers I spent a lot of time working on cage for breif periods during the day being a very positive thing. Took a few months. But we created a positive mid day cshe break if sn hour or so. And also mini cage breaks if 15 min or so at random times and special bedtime cage routine. Now I can out them in the csfecwgrn needed and all good... mostly... Lol they aren't going to be good for hours in cage if I'm home ...like when my dad was fixing broken plumbing st my kitchen sink...after a couple of hours they were screaming.

But they are calm and happy to return to cage when needed. You guys can get there too

justqltin

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Pam
Hi, and thanks for the welcome. He's one and a half years old. He was able to escape his cage with his previous owners. And of course, he's always out with me when I'm home, and he'd come with me everywhere if public places allowed it.
And here he is! His name is Akechi. View attachment 424372
I'm very jealous! I've had my Quaker, Coney, for almost 3 months and she's a doll birdie BUT she still doesn't willingly come out of her cage. I leave the door open and talk to her and bring her things. If I attach millet to the open door she will hang in the doorway and eat but if you come close she runs back inside. When she DOES come out she's a sweetheart but she's very attached to her cage....