• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned??

Smalls

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jamie
Today markes a full week I've had my budgie. He is maybe 3-4 months old and was bought from a pet store. I sit by him and talk to him and he seems pretty comfortable with me. I've been taking it real slow with him. I'm just concerned or maybe disappointed bc he has not made any kind of vocalization with me. When I play a video of other budgies he chirps away. Am I just not giving him enough time to adjust and expecting too much? I need some encouragement. :sad9:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well one week equals about 2 seconds in bird time. It will take months for you to "earn" this birds trust. There is no shortcut.

Now look at this from the bird's perspective. You are a "baby" bird living with a bunch of other budgies in a store. Someone suddenly plucks you out of there from everything you know and now you are in a strange cage in a strange place and you are "all alone". You would be scared to death for a very long time.

I'll also say this. A solitary bird is a lonely bird. Budgies are true flock birds and need others of their own kind.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Does your bird (what's his name?) have enough natural day light? When I brought Tweetie home, he was very quiet, only chirped once or twice. I moved his cage in front of a bright sunny window. There was some direct sunlight on him and some not, so he could sit in the sun or shade. That made the world of difference. He started singing and jumping around getting very active.

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Does your bird (what's his name?) have enough natural day light? When I brought Tweetie home, he was very quiet, only chirped once or twice. I moved his cage in front of a bright sunny window. There was some direct sunlight on him and some not, so he could sit in the sun or shade. That made the world of difference. He started singing and jumping around getting very active.
I found the same with my two budgies. They like to be near a window (though not full sun—shade is needed too). They are more vocal near the window and also, just like outside birds, more vocal on sunny days than cloudy days.