• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Concerned about my baby red front macaw

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
It looks like most of it has been covered. You do need to disinfect with something when feeding babies. There are several things that will work. I have never used F10. You can use bleach, I am not sure the concentration.

I used to use stabilized chlorine dioxide but I now use boiling water.

You have to disinfect all of it. The mixing dish, the syringe, spoon and all, anything that touches the food. You do it at the end of a feeding but it should be kept in a clean covered container. Better yet do it just before the feeding.

Things that I have used that have worked are keeping the feeding utensils in the disinfectant solution and removing and rinsing right before feeding. Or as I do now. I douse all of it in boiling water right before I use it for feeding.

I hope the vet appointment goes well :)
Thank you for your input and suggestions! I will do that!

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
I think bleach is 1:10. I'd go with F10, though. Not caustic. Any updates on the visit with Dr. Dalhausen???
He said that she is a healthy girl other than that she should already be weaned and she has a minor staph infection in her mouth and crop which he has given me medicine for. Just trying to work through this and get her to eat. She won't eat anything and I know that's a major issue. Any suggestions of what to try?? She was only on a seed/nut and formula diet. No fresh foods or pellets. We have been giving her our dry mix (nuts, pellets, dehydrated fruits), our chop with fresh veggies and fruits, and grain bake. She shows interest in the chop/grain bake but won't actually eat any. We have tried feeding it out of our hands to her, nothing. We have also tried pretending to eat it to show her that's its safe, still nothing. We have also tried organic baby food and she doesn't want that either. Any suggestions??

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are there any suitable disinfectants that are bird safe? Any with very little to no chemicals?

F10 is the best, by far, of disinfectants on the market. F10 Bird & Reptile Cleaning Disinfectant - 200 ml I don't know what you mean "with no chemicals" almost everything whether man made or natural has chemicals in it. This product is non-caustic and absolutely safe. It is used for nebulization and I nebulized Jasper with F10. A friend bathed her bird in F10. I used it when Hank had MRSA and it was a critical part of getting rid of the MRSA in his environment.

Most veterinarians use it in their offices now days.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what about mashed Sweet potatoes with a good sprinkle Ceylon Cinnamon in it. when Rocky was sick he would eat that before anything else or soaked wheat berries

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I second the f10. My avian vet is very respected and she said it's all she'll use on her own flock. Very safe and it works. The efficacy of f10 exceeds most other options.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you got her some good medical care. The only thing I would add is that baby RFMs do take a while to refuse comfort feedings. They're very affectionate and love the bonding. My one year old still takes them sometimes. So, take your time...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He said that she is a healthy girl other than that she should already be weaned and she has a minor staph infection in her mouth and crop which he has given me medicine for. Just trying to work through this and get her to eat. She won't eat anything and I know that's a major issue. Any suggestions of what to try?? She was only on a seed/nut and formula diet. No fresh foods or pellets. We have been giving her our dry mix (nuts, pellets, dehydrated fruits), our chop with fresh veggies and fruits, and grain bake. She shows interest in the chop/grain bake but won't actually eat any. We have tried feeding it out of our hands to her, nothing. We have also tried pretending to eat it to show her that's its safe, still nothing. We have also tried organic baby food and she doesn't want that either. Any suggestions??

Baby food is often high in iron, so monitor that. Is she eating any pellets? If she is, try incorporating seeds and pellets in birdy bread. I'd also add them to her chop, especially soaked pellets with some red palm oil. Try her on sprouts, too. I think she's demanding handfeeding this much because she feels crummy. As she starts to fight off the staph, she should be exploring new foods more. I would never let her have an empty dish. She needs a variety of foods in front of her, even if she just plays with it. You're going to have to treat her as a much younger baby until she recovers and probably for some time after. Keep in mind what @Holiday said, too.

I'm about 45-60 minutes away. If I can help her with chop or birdy bread, let me know. I might be willing to make a delivery or make her a special batch. BTW, you can get Nutiva RPO at Kroger's. @Macawnutz put me onto it, and I am noticing improvements in my birds' feather, skin, and beak health. Good luck with her!

P.S. Can she see other birds eating "good stuff", or is she quarantined?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:wideyed:OMG @Amanda6 , have you seen pictures of @aooratrix 's chop?:eating: That's an offer that you can't refuse!:fairy2:I'm jealous! So nice of you Matthew!:)

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Seems I'm late to the thread. You've had some excellent advice. I'd order F10 immediately. Best stuff ever!

My greenwing had the same type of issue due to antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Once the correct meds were given he began eating, acting, and weaning normally. The posters here were excellent help and gave perfect advice. Please continue keeping us posted!

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
Omg, I am so sorry that I am just now responding back. It has been hectic crazy here with the animals and work and life lol. Mango is finished with her meds and doing well! She is not loving her dry mix (she actually goes for the pellets before other things!), no more seed (except for some as a treat). She is also accepting the chop and grain bake. Thanks everyone for all of the advice!!