• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned about Linnies Wings - Normal or not?

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Hi there,
I was wondering if those of you with linnies could shed some light on something for me.

When my linnies stretch their wings so that I can see under them, it appears a bit raw or like skin shows through the feathers on their bodies (where the wings usually cover). I'm not sure if they over preen in that area or if this is normal? I adopted them about a month ago so it may be from before and healing. Anyone happen to have pics of their linnies with wings away from body (flying or showering) so that I can compare?

Their feathers look normal and healthy otherwise. I give them mist showers twice a week and may increase their frequency as I do notice dander on their backs and on the perches sometimes.

Thanks!!
Joelle

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's normal for the area under the wings to be a bit more sparse and downy.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't recall ever seeing a raw area under my linnni's wings. I think mine always had fairly profuse down with a light layer of green feathers over the top. I did find my linnie to be very sensitive to diet. Skin condition and feather coloring goes downhill fast and they end up really blah looking. Mine did very well on the same diet I give my amazons just modified for smaller size. Very small Zupreem pellets, LOTS of veggies and sprouted seed, a little bit of slightly lower fat seed mix. I think my seed mix usually has about 8% fat, the pellets about 5-6% fat, supplemented with all the veggies and a very low fat sprout mix. Feather condition and overall health pretty much sucked when I got her. Within a few months she had that nice glossy luster of a healthy bird. Can't stress the importance of veggies with a little fruit for a lineolated. Mine has since died after several years living with me so I can't run over and check under its wings. Maybe a few other linnie people can respond if their birds have sparse underwing feathers. A vet check and giardia test might also be called for if others respond that their linnies are well feathered under their wings.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
On my cockatoos they have the same sparse feathers you seem to be describing them.
Sort of directly where the wings meet the body? You can see the muscle/tendon that seems to run into their wings as it is not covered by feathers, and by contrast to their black, their skin looks very pink.
But as another has said that has always been normal for them.

So I suspect from what youve said your birds are normal

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the replies! They were vet checked 3 weeks ago so I think it must be normal. @vampstorso your description sounds similar to what I saw on my linnies. I have noticed more dust on their feathers and some sneezing/nose clearing sound (no mucus) so I'll keep misting them and might get a humidifier to increase the moisture in the air during the coming dry winter
Months. Any tips on humidifier would be much appreciated. I'm looking at the Honeywell warm mist models.
@melissasparrots sounds like you had your linnie on a healthy diet! Sorry to hear he passed away :( I am trying to convert
My two to pellets and fresh food with little success. I will be patient though any tips are welcome to speed the process. I've tried offering fresh fruit (apple, pear, banana) and veggies (lettuce, broccoli, carrot) a few days in a row but none were touched. I know I have to keep trying. I've been focused on adding crushed Harrison's pellets to their seeds so they get used to the taste. That's been for a week now, hard to tell if it's working without counting the pellets I don't crush- which I have tried (they don't eat them).
I would like to try sprouting seeds but don't know where to start. Can I germinate the seeds in their food mix (not sprout to avoid molds)? Does anyone else do this?
Ps. I have a thread started on this topic on linnie landing called Linnie Diet Conversion.