• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned about budgie

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Yep, she can fly up. After she flutters to the ground she flies back up.

If I clip some brocolli to her cage (her favourite) she is over there in a flash so she definitely sees that...
That's good. Your post reminded me of my budgie Mark, who cannot fly up:(. So it really could just be clumsiness.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Sam does this too. She trips over her big feet...lol. I would never use the word "dainty" when describing Sam. My mother would have used the word "clodhopper"...lol.
Maybe some budgies are just clumsy. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. This is a picture of her tail, excuse the boxes we are moving! 20201122_102113.jpg

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Doesthe tail look fine? She's certainty been an active bird climbing up and down people today and looking in moving boxes!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
When she seems to have trouble landing, what is she attempting to land on? Is it a flat surface where her grip is compromised? Can she land well on perches?
Its a very high window sill that I would prefer she didn't fly too (but gave up as some battles are not worth fighting with budgies? She also crash lands on people. Come to think of it, she doesn't fly to perches/play gyms that much. She likes to fly to the couch or tables. Ive also noticed that she uses her beak to climb or step up, even if she's stepping onto a finger which Flynn doesn't do at all.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Maybe some budgies are just clumsy
I think that's all this is to be honest, but on your next vet visit ask the vet to test her eyesight. She is a cutie though - almost distracting. I could easily get lost in the green on her back.

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Its a very high window sill that I would prefer she didn't fly too (but gave up as some battles are not worth fighting with budgies? She also crash lands on people. Come to think of it, she doesn't fly to perches/play gyms that much. She likes to fly to the couch or tables. Ive also noticed that she uses her beak to climb or step up, even if she's stepping onto a finger which Flynn doesn't do at all.
All this sounds quite normal. It is harder for them to be completely accurate on flat or moving surfaces. Some prefer the challenge though. Using her beak is normal also, especially in the really playful ones, climbing is fun!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Well, the vet agrees- Charlie is just a clumsy little fluffbutt! Phew!
She's still over her ideal weight (which we already knew) but other than that, all good. Just have to keep up with the pellets and veggies.