• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned about Alice

Nyx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi
I've just discovered two patches of barbered feathers on Alice, which has me very concerned and puzzled; they are on the part of each wing closest to her head, and the left side has the most damage. The longest Alice ever stays in her cage is while I'm at work, and when I'm gone during the weekend (which isn't always the whole weekend). She doesn't act any different than she ever has, and acts like a very healthy, happy birdie. She has plenty of toys in her cage, and my cockatiel is in her cage right next to hers in the living room of my apartment. Could it be some sort of separation anxiety? I have never had any of my pet birds do this.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Have you actually seen her barbering? She could just be damaging feathers playing. My amazon gets his tail beat up enough playing that as the feathers get old you can see actual parts missing. The one he dropped yesterday was really beat up.

Nyx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi
No, and that's what has got me puzzled; it makes me think she does it when I'm gone, but I can't say that 100% sure. I can take a quick picture of her feathers so you can see what it looks like too.

IMG_1101.jpg

Last edited:

Nyx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi
Sorry if the picture isn't clear enough, my camera doesn't focus as well anymore x_X

kitkat44

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katlin
Aw poor girl. :( I hope someone can help.

Nyx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi
Me too; I've never had to deal with this before, and today I noticed those spots are worse :( I'm also going to be talking to a veterinarian that helped teach some of my vet tech classes as she has a lot of experience with birds and exotics (luckily she has started working for a clinic nearby).

kitkat44

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katlin
Thats good you are taking her to the vet. :) I hope they can figure out whats going on and that it isn't anything too serious either emotionally or physically causing this behavior. :(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, she's also molting. I see pinnies on her head and neck. If she is barbering it's just that one area, and not bad yet. I don't think I'd be worried just yet.