• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concern over feather

anneeee

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all,
just wondering if anyone can give me an idea with my cockatiel. I got him only a few weeks ago and has had a blood feather after he bumped into something while flying around. The blood feather is now gone, and he seems to have healed nicely since then. However, as he flapped his wings today, this feather dropped out and it doesn't seem to be one of those blood feathers, checking under his wings I noticed a few bald spots as well. Lately, my cockatiel looks like as if he's itchy and plucking feathers. There are times when he's singing, but also times when he would bite at me, or any other random objects.

Attachments

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Looks like a feather cyst at first glance

Tiels36

Sitting on the front steps
I agree, it looks like a feather cyst. With the balding I can think of a couple possible things, one is mites. This would explain the itching and plucking, do you know if he has been sprayed for mites and lice lately? Another could be plucking, this may be leading towards the mood swings and outbursts if he is unsettled at all. Also the itching and plucking as if he is agitated. Hope this helps, please anyone correct me if I am wrong.