• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conceal the taste of medication?

Zelle

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zelle
Does anyone know of a food that I can mix meds with that will disguise the taste of it? I have to give my Macaw antibiotics twice a day. My vet said “just put it on her food, they like it, it’s sweet.” I’m sure he never tasted it. It’s really really bitter and my bird won’t eat anything with the medicine on it.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My tiel needs two meds daily, and the local compounding pharmacy gives it a tutti fruity flavor. Snuggles takes it, no problem. Do you have a compounding pharmacy nearby?

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I always ask the vet to make it extra tasty and it helps. The first time one had medicine she would spit it even after she had sweetened it up so know I for extra in their medicine.

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I didn't know they can flavor the meds. How do you go about getting them flavored? My girls are on meds currently and Echo all but gags when she has to take hers.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You could ask your veterinarian if you can use some orange juice to mask the taste.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My vet makes it fruit flavored too and Itsy seemed to like it after getting used to it. Darby just started today and I didn't want to towel him if I didn't have to. He loves fruit juices so I thought he might like it. Nope. I added a bit of no sugar added cranberry juice to it. It was still a struggle to get him to drink it and he left a bit.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ash, I have our vet call in the initial prescription to our compounding pharmacy, Saveway. Googling compounding pharmacies in California, I see there is a Saveway in San Jose.

Your vet may be able to compound meds so your bird gets it in liquid form. If the vet cannot compound, ask him or her if (s)he knows someone who can compound.

Before Sashimi, our cockatiel, flew over the Rainbow Bridge, we had two birds on compounded meds, so it was vital to be able to give meds with relative success. Sometimes he spat out a bit, but mostly he took it well. Our second cockatiel, still with us, takes meds, too.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My tiel needs two meds daily, and the local compounding pharmacy gives it a tutti fruity flavor. Snuggles takes it, no problem. Do you have a compounding pharmacy nearby?
I also get all meds compounded for my Macaws. Not only does it mask the taste it also concentrates it so they can take a lesser amount.

Zelle

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zelle
It is Baytril Liquid and already flavored and sweetened. I tasted it and it is still very bitter. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Emma Girl

Checking out the neighborhood
If anyone is still interested........Diamondback Drugs, Scottsdale, Az 866/578-4420. I had my cat's monthly RX compounded as a transdermal cream rather than a pill or a liquid. So easy. I just rubbed a little in her ear. I'd imagine they can make a transdermal for birds also. Diamondback is a compounding pharmacy only and only for animals.

Welcome to my first ever post!