• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Complex fracture blue Quaker leg

Jinader

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 1 year old blue quaker parrot who broke his left leg yesterday closed fracture in 3 places, the toe, the tibia and fibula, and the proximal femur. I stabilized all the fractures. I bandaged the back broken toe with a bandaid to the foot in a closed position. Then put a small stick on the tibia/fibula and used also a bandaid. Finally I used a mesh bandage that I folded longitudinally and wrapped around the proximal femur without a stick because I was worried it will touch his abdomen. He is able now to move the whole leg which is slightly supinated (turned outwards). Does not seem to be in pain and is eating. I kept a visibility of the toes which did not change in color. We are not leaving the house because of the pandemic but I’m a doctor myself but not a vet. Should I worry about an imperfect alignment or gangrene? What is the optimal alignment of the toe?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Im very sorry.

But a complex fracture like that, I do suggest a veterinarian. Are you sure it is a fracture? or potentially a torn muscle?
Imperfect alignment, yes. As you know, if it heals, it will heal in its current position, over time that angle will put stress on the joint in the pelvis (like a humans hip). He may also be favoring it and putting it at an angle, hard to say.

If there is no lack of blood loss, gangrene unlikely. How is the swelling? Take pictures of the leg often- same angle with an object for comparison. If you share a photo here, we can better evaluate the situation on gravity of the angle.

I would recommend meloxicam (but I doubt you have that on hand), and a few other natural items to ensure the bird is not in pain, and will heal quickly. I can give you a list of natural 'home available' items that could be of assistance.

Alignment of the toe, which toe?
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 1.40.46 PM.png

Last edited: