• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Company gave no answer. Anyone know if this toaster is safe?

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
My partner has a Breville Mini Smart toaster oven (BOV450XL) that looks like it is not coated with anything dangerous. He’s had it for at least 5 years so if there was something there hopefully it got burned off by now

sent Breville an email inquiry just in case and they gave me this super unhelpful response:

“Thank you for your inquiry. At Breville®, we are very safety conscious. We design and manufacture consumer products with the safety of you, our valued customer, foremost in mind.

All materials and compounds used in the manufacturing of Breville® products are considered proprietary and may not be disclosed. All Breville® products are food safe and compliant with all applicable product safety regulations and requirements.”

:mad2:

I don’t think it has any non stick coating on the inside that I can tell. might be a shot in the dark here, but is there anyone here who can confirm that toaster oven is safe?

here is a link: https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BOV4...fix=breville+mini+toaster+oven,aps,302&sr=8-3

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
Hey, there! I did some google searching and found several Amazon Q&A posts that said that all Breville toaster ovens contain PTFE. This is coming from several Amazon posters who had spoken on the phone with Breville representatives directly.

Attachments

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
I agree, the thing is when I look inside the toaster, its all stainless steel and no sign of any non stick inside.

actually if you look at the amazon link there are some answers also confirming its not nonstick, but I think these are just customers.

so I don’t know

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
The internal parts can be coated with it. You may not be able to see what has the PTFE or PFOA on it. I would look else where.

For example heating elements can be coated with it.

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
I see! Okay I’m going to try calling them directly and see if I can convince them to tell me. Im sure its easier to brush people off when you’re only seeing something in writing and not hearing them directly, or maybe it was the specific person being lazy that responded to me first. Will get back with an update

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I'd have them email you confirming if it doesn't. Without it in writing its hearsay and they can't be held accountable that's getting it in writing is so important.

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone :) I called and they confirmed (and I had them email back in writing) that it does have a nonstick coating on the inside of the oven.

I want to confirm with them how hot the toaster gets when using each toasting “darkness” setting.

from what I understand, using nonstick pans is dangerous because human error can lead to the pan overheating, but using low heat is safe? Would it be safe to use a nonstick toaster oven that only heats to a limited temperature as long as that temperature is under a certain threshold?

I personally would have no problem replacing this toaster with a completely safe one but just seeing if there is a safe way around having to do that first. We only use this to toast bread or more rarely to bake at low 325F temperature. We never use the broil setting or anything else

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors

Okay changed my mind. I’ll have to convince my partner to let me buy us a new toaster oven.

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
Thanks everyone :) I called and they confirmed (and I had them email back in writing) that it does have a nonstick coating on the inside of the oven.

I want to confirm with them how hot the toaster gets when using each toasting “darkness” setting.

from what I understand, using nonstick pans is dangerous because human error can lead to the pan overheating, but using low heat is safe? Would it be safe to use a nonstick toaster oven that only heats to a limited temperature as long as that temperature is under a certain threshold?

I personally would have no problem replacing this toaster with a completely safe one but just seeing if there is a safe way around having to do that first. We only use this to toast bread or more rarely to bake at low 325F temperature. We never use the broil setting or anything else
The danger of using anything nonstick is that even if the oven is only set to 300-400 degrees, the pan, or in this case the coating, gets way hotter than that. I had a bird die within 30 minutes from using a pan that we didn’t realize was nonstick to bake cookies at 350°.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is one of those situations where I just can't place the inconvenience of replacement over the life of my bird. Even if the odds of something happening are very low, it's not a chance I am willing to take. :hug8:

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
The danger of using anything nonstick is that even if the oven is only set to 300-400 degrees, the pan, or in this case the coating, gets way hotter than that. I had a bird die within 30 minutes from using a pan that we didn’t realize was nonstick to bake cookies at 350°.
Im so sorry to hear that :’( I don’t want that to happen to any of my birds.

is there an existing thread anywhere that lists bird safe toaster ovens (doesn’t have to be a cheap one, I’d prefer expensive ones that will last longer)?

I’m doing a google search and so far not finding a whole lot that’s current

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Check into Ninja brand. Especially with Black Friday around the corner, there should be sales. As far as I know, all Ninja products are PFTE and PFOA free, but of course double check.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Omni instant oven is advertised as bird/parrot safe. They make a version with a different name that is not advertised as bird safe. You do still need to complete a burn off (I did that in the garage). TBH, I have used it only twice-tried to make toast and failed. It was not the oven's fault. I hate the kitchen and it hates me.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Looks like a nice mini oven but for those without birds. Advertised as a easy clean coating. Why not divulge its a teflon related hazard.
We've known about teflon danger for a very long time. Why are they still using it? Mega companies turning there eyes against humanity for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Mine is Pfte and pfoa free, no Teflon. I spoke with the company twice, they had a specific version that was bird safe and they went back to verify. They had another version that was nonstick and not safe. If you do call, you have to call the company directly, not the sales line. Did extensive research, 3 companies had bird safe, one was no longer made and one I did not like. Good luck and hope you find and verify what you need. And always verify

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone!

Mine is Pfte and pfoa free, no Teflon. I spoke with the company twice, they had a specific version that was bird safe and they went back to verify. They had another version that was nonstick and not safe. If you do call, you have to call the company directly, not the sales line. Did extensive research, 3 companies had bird safe, one was no longer made and one I did not like. Good luck and hope you find and verify what you need. And always verify
How do you call the company directly and not sales?

I ended up buying the Ninja Foodi 8 in 1 digital air fryer oven (so its a toaster oven and an upgrade!) my partner wasn’t enthused because he liked our old toaster :( I felt really bad having that conversation with him

anyway, I contacted an online agent from Ninja who was very thorough checking each one I asked for. She said all the appliances under their ovens section were not made from ptfe pfoa or pfcs (but some of them have removable trays that do). Their air fryers (not air fryer ovens) are non stick however.

I sent another message to a different rep asking the same question about this specific oven and they said they have to elevate it and will get back to me in 24 to 48 hrs. So that will double confirm it for me

we bought the oven for now, but it seems the one we got is missing some parts and was clearly already used before, so I’ll just make a quick toast for breakfast tomorrow in the garage and exchange this oven for another one and hopefully that second rep will get back to me by the end of the day tomorrow. But from what I’ve read online, folks complain about the interior of the oven sticking so I think that points to it being safe as well.

will let you guys know when I hear back again :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Many of us have their air fryer (the ninja foodi grill) because they’re bird safe.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thanks everyone!

How do you call the company directly and not sales?

I ended up buying the Ninja Foodi 8 in 1 digital air fryer oven (so its a toaster oven and an upgrade!) my partner wasn’t enthused because he liked our old toaster :( I felt really bad having that conversation with him

anyway, I contacted an online agent from Ninja who was very thorough checking each one I asked for. She said all the appliances under their ovens section were not made from ptfe pfoa or pfcs (but some of them have removable trays that do). Their air fryers (not air fryer ovens) are non stick however.

I sent another message to a different rep asking the same question about this specific oven and they said they have to elevate it and will get back to me in 24 to 48 hrs. So that will double confirm it for me

we bought the oven for now, but it seems the one we got is missing some parts and was clearly already used before, so I’ll just make a quick toast for breakfast tomorrow in the garage and exchange this oven for another one and hopefully that second rep will get back to me by the end of the day tomorrow. But from what I’ve read online, folks complain about the interior of the oven sticking so I think that points to it being safe as well.

will let you guys know when I hear back again :)
I found the number through google....
Sounds like Ninja maybe a good choice for you

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
Many of us have their air fryer (the ninja foodi grill) because they’re bird safe.
So the online agent has verified that this one here is bird safe plus the accessories. Just looking at the pictures though it looks like the pans are suspicious. I was told they are non stick ceramic… I just want to check if any of you guys use this ninja foodi and all the parts with no issues, or which one do you use?