• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Companion for my Budgie

MiniMarie

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Evelyn
Background:

I got Jade January 2021 from Petco. I was preparing for a budgie to bring home, not from Petco, by getting toys ect.then I saw Jade and Opal (in bird heaven now).I had to take them home. The problems started right away. Fluffed, sneezing, Jade had enlarged chest area, not chatty, sleeping all day etc. Called a mobile vet, got antibiotics. Second vet visit Opal passed during vet exam. Heart attack. Necropsy showed aspergillosis. Oh no. They were from the same place, so Jade was put on meds and nebulizer for treatment. She is getting better. We are now 9 months in to her treatment. She is not looking so great from lack of grooming and residue from meds. She hates my hands unless it's training time.
(We do tricks like shake, step up, go through the hoop, throw the wicker ball into the circle, boop the snoot, kisses, etc. No issue with my hands then)

The plan:
Ive been planning on getting a companion for Jade when she is better. But I don't think she is really going to get better. I suck at giving her the oral meds, and on more than one occasion she starts rasping and gasping and sneezing blood after I give the meds (via 1cc oral syringe)

She needs a companion. I never intended her to be an only bird. She is not alone in the sense that my mother is home with her all the time. She is pretty much cage less. She can come hang out or play on her branches in the windows. She does hang out in her day cage, and sleep in her night cage, but unless we have company, are out, or are using the door with direct access to outside, the cage is always open.

What I want:

I won't use the rescue in my area, I fostered a bird and fixed his issues and got him a forever home, but the contract I had to sign with the rescue was pretty standard, except all birds in their system remain in their system, and if you adopt the bird, you are still not owning the bird and the restrictions are still in place, like no outside unless in a carrier. Which I will not do because I built an aviary outside for Jade, and a rescue would not be able to use it. Idk I really don't like them as the source of my future budgie companion.

The help I need:

So I need a breeder. A REALLY good breeder. I'll pay the premium, and drive cross country. I shelled out over 2k (so far) of savings on my 25 dollar, sick, Petco budgie.

I can't seem to find one that is up to my standards? So I need help.
The breeder needs
  • To be a small operation​
  • Hand raise or co-feed the babies​
  • Socialize the chicks​
  • Dna sex the chicks​
  • Ween onto fresh veggies and pellets of new owners choice.​
  • Never clip the wings​
  • Get use to harness on request.​
For the love of God
  • Checked by vet and certified as healthy before getting picked up.​

I don't care about anything else.

The baby will be trained tricks for fun, outside flight recall for safety and give Jade that critical same species bird connection she is craving.

If you know any breeder in any us state that can be driven to, I would love the information!

PXL_20210929_051626760.jpg IMG_20210903_234057_448.jpg PXL_20210923_221443358.PORTRAIT~2.jpg PXL_20210923_221028555.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
28CCC495-2ADD-4763-9C1B-8C850B86B7AA.png
Some one will be around soon to help out :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would discuss with your vet, TBH. I don't know if aspergillosis is curable or just manageable. It would be a shame to inadvertently give it to another bird if it's the latter case. I believe @Hankmacaw knows a lot about aspergillosis.

MiniMarie

Real Name
Evelyn
I would discuss with your vet, TBH. I don't know if aspergillosis is curable or just manageable. It would be a shame to inadvertently give it to another bird if it's the latter case. I believe @Hankmacaw knows a lot about aspergillosis.
I've been informed it's not contagious from bird to bird, just environment to bird. Like if I let the cage get dirty, and kept her around places that are more contaminated than normal. I've had foster birds around her with no issues from the vet. Infact it's my vet that suggests I get another budgie. Which was the plan. I just need information on breeders. The illness is being managed by my vet with monthly appointments/exams

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I am not an expert but I believe aspergillosis is more of a fungal infection and not transmissible from bird to bird. I am truly sorry that you have had such a bad experience with the local pet stores. I feel for your poor sweet Jade. Glad you are looking out for her. I trust you are bonding well with her. You have a lengthy list of wants for your next bird. Now just finding a reputable breeder let alone one who hand feeds and rears babies who also DNA sexes the chicks is a tall order. Kudos on not wing clipping but many good breeders will not do that. I would do a search in your area for a good breeder. Read reviews. A healthy bird is the most important thing. I'm afraid the rest may be up to you. BTW, I don't believe in harnessing budgies but maybe that's just me.

MiniMarie

Real Name
Evelyn
BTW, I don't believe in harnessing budgies but maybe that's just me.
Is there a reason that a budgie should not be ok wearing a harness? Not full time, but for going from house to aviary, or on a nature walk (circle around house to look at plants and be in sun)?

And you are correct with aspergillosis being fungal.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Is there a reason that a budgie should not be ok wearing a harness? Not full time, but for going from house to aviary, or on a nature walk (circle around house to look at plants and be in sun)?

And you are correct with aspergillosis being fungal.
Harnesses are generally too heavy for a budgie, I’ve never had a harness but I would think they weight as much as the budgie itself.
A few members here recommend a lovebird as the smallest parrot to wear a harness.