• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Coming into season next: Pandanus!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Received word late this afternoon that the Pandanus are ripening in our area! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

We will be going out tomorrow to harvest that which are ready and, if sufficient numbers are ripe, I will then post them for sale on my website. Not sure how many will be available for sale, but will be back tomorrow after we harvest to post an update.

For those unfamiliar with Pandanus, it is the fruit from the Screw Pine tree. Each fruit is comprised of chunks or sections that fall away from the middle core of the fruit when ripe. The chunks/sections are extremely fibrous and tough and it literally takes most birds days to work all the way through to the 3 or 4 little nuts inside of each -- the nuts inside are similar to pine nuts. The fruit has a citrus-like scent when ripe which our birds find very appealing.

Pandanus is a great addition to your bird's foraging rotation. All-natural, mentally stimulating and physically challenging.

Below are some pics from last season, some of which feature our birds enjoying this awesome fruit.

Note: The last pic shows a half-eaten chunk/section of the fruit. You can see how fibrous it is. Don't be fooled into thinking your bird's job is done once it reaches this point. Leave the section/chunk with your bird to finish the job.....you will know when that is because the bird will have removed every piece of fiber and you will be left with a hard shell with 3 or 4 holes where the nuts were seated....if the nuts are gone, you know your bird reached his or her reward! :laughing12:

Anyway, just wanted to give all who might be interested a heads up.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
those look intriguing!!:dance5::dance5::dance5:

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:wow: those look interesting!!

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Yea! :dancing: Emmett sure did like those! I didn't know they had seeds though! :) He just chewed them until it looked like a chewed up paint brush and then dropped it. lol.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
oooohhh :yah: Kelly, I sure hope there will be enough so you can put them on your site

I would love to try some of these with my boys :)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
That is very interesting looking!! Nature sure has some unique things!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
We went out late this afternoon to check on the trees and came home with some Pandanus! Not enough to list them tonight on my website but I expect to list them later this week. Here is a pic of one of the ripe Pandanus we got today. I removed the loose chunks from the core and soaked them in some water & GSE. They have now been rinsed and are sitting in the fridge all ready for distribution to our birds in the morning! :dance4:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Wow, Kelly - that is an amazing looking piece! Looks really interesting. How big in diameter is that?

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Wow, Kelly - that is an amazing looking piece! Looks really interesting. How big in diameter is that?
Off the top of my head, I don't know but will measure for you tomorrow. I can tell you that the whole thing weighed around 5 pounds before I started removing the chunks. Of course, most of the weight is in the core...

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I will be watching for this to go on your site, will you please also post it here? ;)

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I have to tell everyone that I had the opportunity to try these last year. They are AWESOME!! Can I tell you that you could hear a pin drop when the birds were fed these?

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can't wait to order some!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.