• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Comfortable place to sleep?

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
Do you guys think It's better to get a java wood perch, or a coconut/hut for my GCC to sleep on during the night time? I feel bad that he's always standing on a perch all of the time.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Get a platform perch and a variety of other perches. Huts of any sort are unnecessary and can (often do) cause hormonal issues.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Do you guys think It's better to get a java wood perch, or a coconut/hut for my GCC to sleep on during the night time? I feel bad that he's always standing on a perch all of the time.
don't use any type of hut/¨safe space¨ it's really bad for them and it can cause hormonal issues. and yes a java wood perch would be perfect or any type of natural made perch is perfect, you can also make natural wood perches from the branches in your backyard, it's not that hard and it would be ok if you had 1 dowel perch just as long there is many other type of natural wood perches. rope perches are also really good but you have to monitor them and make sure there are no loose ends and when there are just trim them and it will be fine.

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
Hello mine have a large cardboard tunnel I use the dowel that came with the cage way up top not able to stand on , then a heater between they both love this . I have 2 separate cages of course View attachment 374866
That sounds perfect! Can I ask where you purchased your heater from? And are there any precautions/safety issues using heaters?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Offer a variety of perches. A platform perch is always a good option to include. Offer natural wood perches of different diameters to give your bird different perching opportunities; the natural variations in diameter found in natural branches will also help exercise the feet.

Huts, tunnels and similar are far too much like a nesting site. This can cause a bird to become (more) hormonal: they will probably become territorial and guard their nest fiercely, and females may lay eggs. Laying eggs can result in problems like calcium deficiency and egg binding. It's something we try to avoid as the potential risks to their health are so severe.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
In the wild, GCCs sleep on a perch under drooping leaves or under palm fronds still attached to the tree and drooping down. My Bocca GCC would wedge himself up under the the plastic fronds in the opening of the door into the birdroom I tried to use to keep the birds from flying over my head and out of the room when I open the door. I had to use a piece of plywood in the top part of the doorway due to Bocca. In stead I mounted the plastic frond against the side of his cage (on the inside) and he slept under that artificial "palm" for over a year before it got chewed up and I had to get rid of it. I now have a platform perch in his cage and drape a grass divider down over the perch and he will sleep there most of the time.
I do not believe in ignoring or even fighting the birds' instincts to have a life just like in the wild. If that means putting up with hens laying eggs and males acting like males, so be it. I have the birds because I like their wild behaviors; why would I try and eliminate the wild behaviors? All I do is provide reproductive limits on how many eggs hatch.

Sweetbeaks

Meeting neighbors
I got mine off Amazon i have 2 different sizes both work great , I don’t have any trouble with mine cord wise or anything they have blanket in the back so I have the cords hidden in there. I love how when they blow kisses to me it echoes .