• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Colored newspaper - safe?

Skye

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone!
Lately I have been trying to find more ways in which I can spice up my budgies' cage setup and play area. While researching on this topic I noticed that quite a bit of people recommend giving parrots phone books because they found that their parrots really enjoy destroying them. The thing is, unlike almost all of my past budgies, my current two love to chew and destroy their toys, but I do not have any spare books to give them. What I do have a lot of is newspapers because we get a lot ads in the mail. Most of them are colored, but almost none of them are glossy/coated. Do you guys think they would be safe to include in toys, or just put on top of the cage for when I let the birds out?

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
this heavily depends on what types of ink is used. Nowadays the ink in newspaper is usually non toxic in order to meet the safety requirements, They probably thought baby would try to eat the news or something. As long as its non glossy it should be fine.

Skye

Strolling the yard
this heavily depends on what types of ink is used. Nowadays the ink in newspaper is usually non toxic in order to meet the safety requirements, They probably thought baby would try to eat the news or something. As long as its non glossy it should be fine.
Thank you! I have heard about it depending on ink, I just thought that what if some of the newspapers have non-toxic ink, while others have toxic, and that I wouldn't be able to tell them apart... but tbh I could just throw out all of my older newpapers and use the newer, not-glossy ones.

Edit: typos

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If you are really worried, you could contact the company and find out what ink type they use

Skye

Strolling the yard
If you are really worried, you could contact the company and find out what ink type they use
True, I did some extra research and a lot of the articles stating that newspaper ink is no longer toxic are about 5 years old, which means that companies had plenty of time to switch to non-toxic inks.

For example, this article is almost 6 years old:

Reactions: Ali