• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color obsessed?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
My dear, nutso, turquoise Blueberry, is obsessed with himself. He finds his reflection in anything he can, from the insides and outsides of stainless dishes to the metal washers used for perches, even the cage door latch, and yells at himself until I tell him that's enough. A mirror? Just keep him away. And Sprite, who is also turquoise, has been his hopeful (yet hopeless) conquest for the last year.

Just now it occurred to me that rather than him simply loving himself, perhaps he's just fixated on the color turquoise?? I mean, what if I put another turquoise male in with him, would he think he'd hit the jackpot and quiet down?? Seriously, is it possible ? (Ok most anything's possible, but how probable?)

NG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe he´s just interested in the bird he sees in the reflection (he doesn´t know it´s himself).

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Blueberry just cracks me up. So much personality. I have no idea, but I'm thinking he wants to play with that handsome turquoise bird. I wonder if he somehow knows he is the same as his reflection and the same as Sprite?

And thinking about color, in the wild Linnies are normal green. Perfect for hiding in the trees. How does a green Linnie feel about say a lutino? Could the green Linnie feel unsafe being near the bright conspicuous yellow bird? But in captivity beggars can't be choosers so they pair off anyway? Gigi's parents are turquoise and green, Dori's are green and cremino.

No research can be done with my two greenies. Normal and dark, but in many instances I can't tell the difference with our looking closely.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Seems like a harmless behavior to me.

NorthernGannet

Maybe he´s just interested in the bird he sees in the reflection (he doesn´t know it´s himself).
Right, but is it strictly because it's a turquoise reflection and the turquoise live bird. He is not obsessed with either of my greenies, even the one in his same cage. Not sure what he'd do if he saw only their reflection!

NorthernGannet

Seems like a harmless behavior to me.
Harmless yes, except he gets needlessly worked up and excessively loud. I put plain muffin cup liners inside and outside his cups at least. Lol I just wondered if anyone had a bird who was focused on some color, because it seems plausible.

NorthernGannet

And thinking about color, in the wild Linnies are normal green. Perfect for hiding in the trees. How does a green Linnie feel about say a lutino? Could the green Linnie feel unsafe being near the bright conspicuous yellow bird? But in captivity beggars can't be choosers so they pair off anyway? Gigi's parents are turquoise and green, Dori's are green and cremino.
This is an excellent thought! Hmmmm... I feel a research study.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know I've read on this site that some of our parrots dislike certain colors, like red. So BB is sounding an alarm when he sees turquoise. Hmm.

I'll add that I've never seen that in any of my birds. I wear bright and muted colors and no one has ever responded. And now my girls are used to seeing me in a mask and that's fine too!

Last edited: