• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color mutations

sav2528

Moving in
Real Name
Savannah
Hey all

I got my male cockatiel not long ago he is 5 months old.
I was just wondering what sort of color mutation he had? He seems to be pied or pearl pied but I don't know the difference.

TIA

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup: I believe she is pearl pied.

sav2528

Moving in
Real Name
Savannah
:welcomegroup: I believe she is pearl pied.
Thank you! I was on google trying to figure it out for ages! The breeder told me he was male but then I read somewhere that most pearl pied cockatiels are female is this true?

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Thank you! I was on google trying to figure it out for ages! The breeder told me he was male but then I read somewhere that most pearl pied cockatiels are female is this true?
Males will grow out of their pearls while females keep them. You can also do a DNA test. The breeder should also know her mutation.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
At five months, the personality can be a big hint to male or female. Does your bird sing and talk? More than just birdy chitter - Saying actual words. I knew mine was male pretty early on because he was able to sing back tunes that I would whistle to him, and he says a few small phrases. Plus he “heartwings” at my feet :roflmao:

sav2528

Moving in
Real Name
Savannah
He doesn't sing or talk much, but he does the heartwings basically every time I approach him or his cage its soo cute. The breeder said he was male but he just doesn't seem vocal enough to be male. I guess I'll see once he goes through his first moult? I think he is starting to, he leaves little feathers everywhere lol

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If he’s not singing or talking or anything like that yet, I’m really not sure that he’s actually male… Does he say any words or anything like that at all?

sav2528

Moving in
Real Name
Savannah
If he’s not singing or talking or anything like that yet, I’m really not sure that he’s actually male… Does he say any words or anything like that at all?
No words but I've only had him for a few months. If I put on cockatiel companion noises on YouTube he gets super chatty and talks a lot but yet to hear him sing a tune or something! I've been whistling to him a lot to try and get him to sing but no luck. Maybe I have a female

sav2528

Moving in
Real Name
Savannah
Okay little update, today I heard him do these little squeak talk things for the first time ever. He started doing it when he was preening my clothes. It was adorable. I can't describe the sounds other than it sounded like squeaky chatter lol

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
You could have a girl that talks/whistles.If he’s a girl he’ll keep the pearls if not then he will lose them. You can do a DNA test if you’re in a hurry.