• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color in my bird droppings

nekogaby

Sitting on the front steps
Greetings, I hope you are doing well.
I have a 20 year old Psittacara finschi, he is my whole world. This year I took him for revision with an avian pet and he told me he seemed healthy but changed his diet to a more fruits/vegetables based one.

From what I recall, his droppings have always been GREEN. Dark green, lighter green but green. I recently bought him a new cage, and he seems happy there but I'm concern cuz few days ago I saw brown droppings.
I've been googling pictures and blogs and I cannot tell if I should be concern.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you think of anything in the last few hours that you have fed that may be affecting the colour and appearance of your birds poop?

We normally suggest not to stress and worry about one different looking poop as the food eaten can change the appearance and consistency so we normally suggest to be aware of all poops done over the day and if they look different for a whole day or more then we really need to look more into what could be happening.

If I go feed my guys grapes, mango or sweet potato there are really runny wet poops all over the place for a short while, if they eat a lot of peas the poop looks scary radioactive green for a short time and if I feed berries then that natural dye in the fruit makes it appear that they are pooping blood.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The feces definitely change based on diet. As an example:

download.png

And what they eat definitely can change the colors. If you want to test if it's the diet, try going back to what you were feeding and see if things go back :)

nekogaby

Can you think of anything in the last few hours that you have fed that may be affecting the colour and appearance of your birds poop?

We normally suggest not to stress and worry about one different looking poop as the food eaten can change the appearance and consistency so we normally suggest to be aware of all poops done over the day and if they look different for a whole day or more then we really need to look more into what could be happening.

If I go feed my guys grapes, mango or sweet potato there are really runny wet poops all over the place for a short while, if they eat a lot of peas the poop looks scary radioactive green for a short time and if I feed berries then that natural dye in the fruit makes it appear that they are pooping blood.

Hi! thank you for answering. He has been eating seeds, watermelon and green grapes. He pooped green and brown yesterday, today his poops are all green for now. I got scared because I read about metal poisoning and things like that, and I got him some toys that had like little metal chains but I took them out of his cage out off precaution. ;_;

nekogaby

The feces definitely change based on diet. As an example:

View attachment 430211

And what they eat definitely can change the colors. If you want to test if it's the diet, try going back to what you were feeding and see if things go back :)
Hi! Thank you very much, I'll keep this in mind and save this info picture for future reference! :)