• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color change

_Lara _

Meeting neighbors
My lovebirds Janis and Jim are changing colors for the last few weeks. According to their wrist bands they hatched this year so they are young birds. These last weeks their colors have been getting livelier and shinier. They also had a very faint peach color on their forehead that is now completely bright pink. They are losing feathers i can see some falling as they fly in my room but although this has been happening for weeks they didnt get any featherless patches. So these feathers are gettibg replaced. I dont think that they are sick. They defecate perfectly eyes and beaks are also in great condition. They eat and drink normal they are active and not hormonal.
Since i got them they eat alot better. I feed them all kinds of vegetables ( some they dont eat) fruits, seeds, greens. And they get min two times a week flying time all day.
So its good right? Like im supposed to take this positively? Its also getting colder here if that helps to identify whats going on

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They appear to be just getting their adult plumage.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Yes, they are molting. Make sure to give them baths and calcium to help with the growing in of new feathers.
I will attach some photos to show the color differences in my bird before and after he molted.
january Oscar.jpg oscar38.jpg
Here is a picture of Oscar in January of this year when he was molting and a picture of him now with his adult coloring. As you can see, they both have different color schemes and one has more pin feathers than the other.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Brighter feathers are normal! Unless they are STRANGE, like turning purple on your birds feathers, there's no reason to get concerned. Your birdies are simply just getting prettier:twirl:

_Lara _

Meeting neighbors
Yes, they are molting. Make sure to give them baths and calcium to help with the growing in of new feathers.
I will attach some photos to show the color differences in my bird before and after he molted.
View attachment 393743 View attachment 393744
Here is a picture of Oscar in January of this year when he was molting and a picture of him now with his adult coloring. As you can see, they both have different color schemes and one has more pin feathers than the other.
Oh wow im looking forward to them becoming the cutest lil birds yesterday Jim stepped on my finger! We are making great day to day progress. I was on vacation for a few and left them with my housemates so Janis seems to be a lil offended by that. She ignores me the whole time... But Jim is very happy to see me again and yesterday as we were practicing step up with a stick, to get more millet he just stepped on my hand!