• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Color change question

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Burt was very well fed and raised and abundance weaned but his feathers had quite a few stress bars which I know bothered his breeder. We had been dealing with numerous power outages in the area and most of them went for 24 hrs, some longer so Burt and the other babies developed stress bars.
I absolutely think that some stress bars are normal, even from the best breeders! :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I wish he’d drop some good feathers for me to see! So far all I’ve found are the fluffy bits.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I wish he’d drop some good feathers for me to see! So far all I’ve found are the fluffy bits.
I’m in floofy bits heaven over here! My carpet does a great job of collecting them and I have to say, i love them. Wally dropped two bigguns and I almost had a heart attack haha

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
He was vet checked a few days after being brought in - blood work, fecal, etc - everything came back as normal as it gets. I can’t say if he was force weaned, and unfortunately I don’t have the breeders contact info to ask (though I’m not sure he’d say yes anyway), and he’s been on pellets since coming home, and has never had seeds. I check everyone’s weight weekly, and every week is either a small gain or the same as the week prior, no weight loss. I’ve not seen him over preen, if anything I feel like he doesn’t do it enough, though now that Burt seems to have adopted him he’s getting regular cleanings :roflmao:
So great that you are logging weights. And already had your vet check!

And im glad you've got them and they have such a great home .

You will get to see gorgeous feathers when molt.

Surprised on veggies. Quakers generally take to them quick. At least my experience and my friends. Bell pepper , especially the yellow ones here, are often a huge hit. Or other kinds of pepper. Broccoli , peas, and fresh corn are some of the others taken too more early in the veggies game.

I find offering outside of the cage, tempts them. Stuff a big Broccoli spear in cage bars n top of cage so standing up like a little tree. Pretty sure they'd at least love to rip it to shreds.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My birds like to split the tougher kale stems, and they’ve taken to red endive, I think it satisfies their need for crunch. I sometimes put them into the rubber rolly ball holder and they will go to town on the bigger pieces. You’ll find something they enjoy :)

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie also has not-perfect feathers right now. He's starting to molt a lot more this week so fingers crossed for the new growth! Like Pudge, he isn't losing weight and is gaining a little each week.

He had the opposite problem though- he would eat veggies all day, so I've been needing to make sure he eats something with denser nutrition before he's allowed his veggie treats :eek:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Some stress bars and bronzing are normal for baby feathers. Here's one of my boy as a baby.

But that mottled look is a sign of unhealthy feathers afterwards, so as pretty as it may look, you don't want it to continue into adulthood ;)

View attachment 416376
Oh maybe let’s not pray it stays that’s what you get for replying beforereading whole post:nocomment:

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I know I’m late to the discussion but in my experience baby Quakers are darker esp in head and bib until first molt.

my boy gets bronzing more on the left side as I cuddle him with my right hand.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
P
Opie also has not-perfect feathers right now. He's starting to molt a lot more this week so fingers crossed for the new growth! Like Pudge, he isn't losing weight and is gaining a little each week.

He had the opposite problem though- he would eat veggies all day, so I've been needing to make sure he eats something with denser nutrition before he's allowed his veggie treats :eek:
if Opie is too thin, you might switch him to Harrison’s high potency. Then he could have more veggies.