• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Collaring or medicating my plucker?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hello, so my rehomed grey had started plucking. Well not exactly plucking but chewing on tail and wing feathers. I have several questions regarding collars. I consulted an avian vet and he suggested either a collar or calming medications. I will be doing this while I i am desensitizing her to toys, wood, perches, ect.

Im not sure which i should go for but i feel like medication won’t be too good for her. But collaring her hurts me inside to do :(. I am worried she might break a blood feather sometime in the future. She is a sweetheart and had never bit me once even when i was first taming her down (she was not handled in the previous home). It’s only been a year and i am still building trust with her and im worried collaring her might make everything go backwards.

Here is the collar the vet suggested
1645409152514.jpeg
Seems pretty uncomfortable. I think I will go with a softer restraint collar. Im not sure if something like this can work for her as she is chewing tail and wing feathers.
1645409274171.jpeg
maybe something like this?
1645409339291.jpeg
im thinking of getting ones from birdsupplies.com or avianfashions anyone had experience with any of them?

any info on if i should use collars or meds and if so which type would be much appreciated!
Here is a picture of her feathers.
11C3EB75-74D2-4668-958F-32F87FF52569.jpeg E3BF3FB6-212D-4AE0-9D34-B40838D4AD52.jpeg CB756137-9E9D-45E0-911A-48A77D95293F.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a life-long plucker and self-mutilating Cherry Headed Conure. I have used the soft petal collars on him with success. I purchased one of the 3rd collar options for him as well, but his vet advised that it would be too heave for him. He weighs in the 190-200 g range.

I like the petal collars for several reasons. They are light weight. They keep my Opie from getting to his chest which is his convenient place to break his skin. They are easily washed, and I can even make some of my own. They still allow him to tuck his head under his wing to sleep--the other two would not allow that to happen.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I have a life-long plucker and self-mutilating Cherry Headed Conure. I have used the soft petal collars on him with success. I purchased one of the 3rd collar options for him as well, but his vet advised that it would be too heave for him. He weighs in the 190-200 g range.

I like the petal collars for several reasons. They are light weight. They keep my Opie from getting to his chest which is his convenient place to break his skin. They are easily washed, and I can even make some of my own. They still allow him to tuck his head under his wing to sleep--the other two would not allow that to happen.
Sorry for the late reply haven't been on for awhile. thank you for sharing your experience. i think i'll go with the third option either. I emailed avian fashions about which i should go for and they said that their ponchos should work and that their deluxe ponchos would work even better at keeping her covered while she bends around. They sold the third option too but said that option should be the last resort if she is still able to reach with the ponchos. they look like this:
1645588058847.png
noodle neck as the last option:
1645588090452.png
I think that i will be trying out the ponchos first, would getting two be better than one so i can change it out? also what colour would you recommend that my grey might accept?