• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cocktail 2 weeks old not begging for food.

Mariam2020

Moving in
Hello everyone ;
I have bought two baby cocktails four days ago , first I took them to an avian vet to check if they are healthy which they were .
I took them home in noticed the bigger one named Nazoo did not beg for food at all , so I assumed she/he was scared of the new home she/he was in so i opened her/his mouth slighting and gave her formula which she/he gobbled up .
Her/his brother/sister on the other hand screams and shouts for food he is slightly younger .
The next day continued developing normally both of them with an empty crop again no begging I open the mouth slightly put some formula and then she started to eat I do this every time I feed her she seems to get very excited but does not beg.
I started to worry about this odd behavior so I took her to avian that again on the third day The doctor said it’s probably the surrounding place she is unfamiliar with that’s why she is scared of the formula she’s not used to it or the syringe she does not no that is food yet although she eats up he checked her out saw that she is very healthy and developing normally for her age he said I need to give her time to get used to the home and place but I don’t need to worry and that she will get a custom to opening her mouth later he asked me does she swallow the food I said yes she does that but I just wonder why does she not beg for food because it’s much easier to feed her if she was begging.
today her feathers are coming in beautifully and she’s growing up really fast almost doubled her weight when she came in but I am still worried about the fact that she’s not begging the doctor said there is no air in her lungs and she’s feeding properly and I don’t need to worry and I need to continue feeding her the same way if she did not open her mouth.
I need tips to help me get her motivated to beg I tried putting food on the side of her mouth but still it didn’t work I tried feeding her with her brother and still she didn’t get excited or begged for food.
What should I do?

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've never had a baby not beg for food. However, as Nazoo is clearly growing and developing well then things should be okay from here on.
@Zara?

Mariam2020

Moving in
I've never had a baby not beg for food. However, as Nazoo is clearly growing and developing well then things should be okay from here on.
@Zara?
So I fed Nazoo today and she/he clearly is responding to the syringe she opened her mouth without me trying to open it and started to feed but still no begging eating normally well too almost 9ml she/he gobbles the entire syringe up ,the side technically worked I can clearly see she/he knows it food now, but still no begging she/he tripled the size when she/he came in which means she’s/he’s developing normally .
I think there is a huge progress today maybe the next feeding she will beg?
I have three other birds two love birds and her/his brother/sister, my first was a baby three weeks old adoption the other lovebird was a rescue two weeks old so I’m pretty experienced in feeding but I don’t know what’s going on with little Nazoo .

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you using the same brand formula?
What tecnique was being used before? Sometimes a bird that was fed by crop needle or tube, might not beg for food because they don´t really understand it.

You can try feeding the birds inside the brooder with the lights dimmed down.
Each formula feed should be 10% of the birds weight. (weigh bird on empty crop)

Mariam2020

Moving in
What tecnique was being used before? Sometimes a bird that was fed by crop needle or tube, might not beg for food because they don´t really understand it.

Hey Zara :
Thank you for the reply I am using the same brand formula but I am more gentle than the breeders they just stick it up their mouth I don’t want to hurt the baby , I will try to feed her/him in the boarder today and see how would she/he react to it and they used the same type of syringe I’m using at the moment she/he are quite healthy and active today it’s the first time I actually heard his/him voice so I think that’s an improvement thank you again I will update you guys soon.

Attachments

Mariam2020

Moving in
I’m not crying :cry:*

I’m crying happy tears
My baby Nazoo has just started to beg she begged and ate like Champion she screamed and jumped when she/he saw me and jumped on the syringe trying to feed.
I think she/he was scared that’s why she/he wouldn’t eat thank you again your comments gave me hope all of you
Now Nazoo can live a happy with the rest of her sibling

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s great news! :)
Sounds like she was just a little scared still adjusting.