• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoos Screaming

sophie09

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie
Hi,
I’m thinking about getting a rescue Moluccan cockatoo. It screams very loud during the day and I’m not sure if it’s also loud at night. If you have any cockatoo experience with screaming during the night please let me know.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi :)

Typically parrots don't scream at night. I would assume something very serious either health wise or behavioral wise was going on if this was happening regularly. Birds can have night frights from time to time but if it's happening nightly you need try and find out why.

My past Moluccan and my current Umbrella Cockatoo both occasionally scream at night but its extremely rare. Its usually because something disturb their sleep. Sometimes during the change from winter to spring night scream will happen a bit more often with my U2 and it's frustrating but it hasn't been a big problem. It settles down as quickly as it seem to pop up.

Being loud during sunrise its pretty normal. An important is question to ask is will this bother enough that you'll regret get a parrot? Also if you have neighbours close by will it bother them? Or you will be able to soundproof well enough so it's not a problem?

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds don’t scream when they’re sleeping. They do put up a fuss after lights out for maybe 10-15 minutes. This is for a bird living in a known and familiar environment.

As a rescue cockatoo all bets are off. Do you have any experience doing this kind of thing? Especially with a cockatoo.

Screaming is a multi faceted behaviour with many complications that can not be addressed in a simple post. It is a natural and learned behaviour. These are the basics

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Funny enough,out of the 3 cockatoos I have had, a sulphur crested cockatoo, a moluccan cockatoo, and now an umbrella cockatoo, I found my sulphur crested cockatoo to be the loudest screamer (morning alarm clock) and before bed, but that is normal, and didn't last long.
My moluccan was the quietest and just went with the flow. He hardly ever screamed.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hi Sophie!
You have your macaw, and did you get the African grey?

Cockatoo have a lot of dander/powder. This can cause allergies or problems for macaws. So many take extra precautions with hepa filters and the like. I leave that to our experienced Cockatoo members to share how they handle.

A dedicated screaming parrot can go non stop from sunrise to sunset . With mornings that sound can travel enough outside to wake neighbors. And it can drive people nuts. Screaming is probably the number one cause of re homing parrots.

I don't know your experience level or lifestyle , family/roommates or space between neighbors. But dedicated screaming takes a lot of work and patience to resolve. Everyone in the home needs to be fully on board and involved to some extent. Because a screamers can lead to so much conflict in the home , and with neighbors. And nervous breakdown stress for you.

I've taken on screaming parrots, and my last dedicated screamer nearly broke me. Im known among my friends/family/colleagues for my endless patience and high tolerance. But after months of 12 hours a day non stop screaming i was about to loose my mind!!! She was loud enough to hear outside even from several houses away. But not loud enough for neighbors to hear inside their homes thank the universe! (Quaker parrot).

Im thrilled you are considering a rescue with any level of screaming! And if you've got the right attitude, support ( if anyone lives with you) and room between neighbors. Yay! I believe you can really decrease it to more tolerable levels in time. Some even respond immediately in new homes and the improved care they get.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'toos scream at night when it's time to go to bed. They might scream a little bit after I turn the lights off but then they stop and are quiet through the night.