• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo with Old foot injury

HerbieTheBip

Meeting neighbors
So, my aunt gave us a Cockatoo named Zoey. She's freaking adorable. Super sweet, cuddly, and loves Queen. She's 24 or 25 now.

My aunt got her half off because when she was a baby she broke her toe. The breeders didn't think she would ever be able to hold onto the perch well enough to be bred and descided to sell.

There are a few problems with Zoey, although she does not pluck. Her claws had not been trimmed inna very long time and so were super overgrown and curling. This caused footing issues especially combined with that broken toe that never got set.
She also has spent pretty much her entire life in a cage, even though she's had plenty of interaction as my aunt had 9 kids.

The life in the cage has led to some balance issues and strength issues. She has NO flight. None. Can't stress enough how rock like she is. That becomes a problem when she falls due to her balance issues, as she can not catch herself, or even flap to slow down. She does have full movement, so that's not an issue. She just has no muscle.

She is now in a mostly pelleted diet after 23 years on seed mix. She adjusted quite well and quite quickly, maybe because of the pretty colors. She has gained weight, although is still as light as my Orange wing Amazon chunk (who now hates my guts because of Zoey) even though she is much bigger than him. Her keel bone is still quite prominent, but I doubt that's because of lack of fat. I think it's lack of muscle.

My main question here is what could I add to her food to possibly help with the potential arthritis that's in her right foot, and how do I help her gain strength? Also foot and leg excersize would be good as well to strengthen that injured, unused foot.
Her claws are much better and she was totally not afraid of the toenail clipper. We are using controlled pet dremmel now because the pressure is too great to cut. I'd rather not have her be afraid of me touching her feet because I hurt her.

She also likes being held like a burrito. Just hands under her chest and around her wings. Happy little bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She sounds like a sweetie. So nice of you to help her. I believe turmeric can be used to help birds with arthritis, but I'll tag some people.

@Hankmacaw ? @Mizzely ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley came to me much the same way. 19 years on all seeds, no muscle so he dropped like a rock when he tried to fly, underweight, and balance and grip issues. One thing to know is that certain deficiencies like calcium can make their grip very weak, so improving the diet overall will likely help in that department. I actually thought Ripley had arthritis also but it turns out it was all related to him being malnourished for so long. He no longer has those issues a year later!

A good site if it is arthritis is this: Arthritis Diet | Arthritis-Friendly Diet | Foods for Arthritis

Spices are easy to incorporate and many have anti-inflammatory properties - ceylon cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne, and ginger all being good ones.

You'll want to avoid foods high in Omega 6 as that will make inflammation worse.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't really believe in foods as a therapy for arthritis - there ARE NOT any clinical trials for effectiveness of foods for arthritis therapy. There are foods that should be avoided. You can find them by searching a site like the Mayo Clinic.

Metacam is the go to medication for arthritis pain in birds. Others are Celebrex, Orion, SAMe, Tramadol and Gabapentin. Aspirin, Tylenol and other drugs used on humans for pain are not used, because no dosage information has been established.

My girl GW, Jasper, has ha severe arthritis in her feet and legs for as long as I've had her. She has had two toes amputated because the pain could not be controlled. She has been on Celebrex, SAMe, and Gabapentin for several years now and that combination has done a good job of suppressing the pain.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She sounds like such a sweetie! I can’t wait to hear about how her strength and balance improve while she is in your care, and I hope your Amazon forgives you soon!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, my aunt gave us a Cockatoo named Zoey. She's freaking adorable. Super sweet, cuddly, and loves Queen. She's 24 or 25 now.

My aunt got her half off because when she was a baby she broke her toe. The breeders didn't think she would ever be able to hold onto the perch well enough to be bred and descided to sell.

There are a few problems with Zoey, although she does not pluck. Her claws had not been trimmed inna very long time and so were super overgrown and curling. This caused footing issues especially combined with that broken toe that never got set.
She also has spent pretty much her entire life in a cage, even though she's had plenty of interaction as my aunt had 9 kids.

The life in the cage has led to some balance issues and strength issues. She has NO flight. None. Can't stress enough how rock like she is. That becomes a problem when she falls due to her balance issues, as she can not catch herself, or even flap to slow down. She does have full movement, so that's not an issue. She just has no muscle.

She is now in a mostly pelleted diet after 23 years on seed mix. She adjusted quite well and quite quickly, maybe because of the pretty colors. She has gained weight, although is still as light as my Orange wing Amazon chunk (who now hates my guts because of Zoey) even though she is much bigger than him. Her keel bone is still quite prominent, but I doubt that's because of lack of fat. I think it's lack of muscle.

My main question here is what could I add to her food to possibly help with the potential arthritis that's in her right foot, and how do I help her gain strength? Also foot and leg excersize would be good as well to strengthen that injured, unused foot.
Her claws are much better and she was totally not afraid of the toenail clipper. We are using controlled pet dremmel now because the pressure is too great to cut. I'd rather not have her be afraid of me touching her feet because I hurt her.

She also likes being held like a burrito. Just hands under her chest and around her wings. Happy little bird.

Other than medication for pain the only other thing you can do is make her use those legs/feet. The old saying of use it or lose holds quite true. And the older the truer. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes I forgot to mention that! For Ripley I basically opened his door and gave him several areas near his cage to explore. I don't even feed him in his cage, he has to come out and get it. I also hide almonds all over his area... Inside, outside, etc to force movement.

IMG_20191004_141624.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you haven't already, I would highly suggest getting blood work done on her to see ensure she's healthy and doesn't have any health issues. As mentioned, she could be deficient in calcium... maybe even has fatty liver disease.

If she flaps at all, you could encourage her to flap her wings more to start building muscle. She may never fly, but you can still encourage the use of her wings.

I get the "rock" comment... my first conure was basically a ragdoll in the air... he tumbled. There was no gliding, no smooth landings.... just "thunk" on whatever side hit the ground first. He never got the strength to fly, but he did get enough courage to start jumping at people and scaring the living daylights out of them! :lol:(well, my sister... who is *NOT* a bird person... but apparently looks enough like me that my animals mistake her for me whenever they see her!)

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
I love your set up, Mizzely! Your info about grip and malnutrition blew my mind. So many of the birds I’ve met have really, really weak-feeling feet even on great diets too though.

My wildly spinning rock has an unshakeable determination to try to fly anyway at times, and likes to jump long distances with only a 98% success rate. For the instability and potentially her personality when she starts blooming in your care, add padding, padding, padding, and padding reaching farther that they should be able to fall. Maybe one unpredictable wing catches air for half a second and they travel before it turns into a falling spin :confused: Avoiding is ideal of course but some birds just forget or are hopelessly optimistic.

Access to the ground in a rescue rope or boing of some sort might be good - then they can rescue themselves if need be, though I hear some ‘toos can be floor terrors :)

A floor tree can also be fun (if they feel secure being low) for developing strength and confidence - I deconstruct a java tree putting the tree bit on the stand next to the trunk and add other branches, horizontal boings and such. It was 7’ wide at one point :hilarious:

Mer loves laying in my hands flapping while I walk/jog him around as if he is flying, and we trade off on who decides the route. He tends to hold on tightly, get carried away, and just let go so I have to secure his feet, but she might like that with you holding her body as you described which sounds more stable :) And you’ll get to feel if she produces any lift!

Perhaps the vet could do her nails, maybe repeatedly? Gabapentin is working for Mer’s arthritic ruined wing and my vet is investigating amantadine as an option as well. It is a curious drug, an antiviral that synergises with metacam to good effect but does not really control pain by itself. She is looking into whether it also boosts gabapentin. There has been a study done in amazons but no other parrot species as far as I am aware. My vet mentioned it as a future treatment more than a year ago when the only studies done were in chickens!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is an interesting article about Amantadine. Looks like the veterinarians are looking at it for pain relief, but it does have some worrisome side effects and interactions with other drugs. I see that my Jasper is ruled out for it's use, because she has congestive heart failure.

Amantadine - Veterinary Partner - VIN

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
Thank you, that is very useful! We think there is a neurological component to his pain as well, no wonder she is interested in this treatment. I might get his kidney bloods done first though :)

HerbieTheBip

Meeting neighbors
Thabk all of you so much! I will send this thread to my parents who are her primary caregivers.