• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo showers... How often?

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Basically the title :D

I'm sorta unsure how often I should be giving Val showers? I've been giving him and my tiels a spritz shower about every week ( sometimes a day or two before a week... Sometimes after) . I can usually tell when he needs a bath... His feather look 'off' ... From the 'too dust I'm guessing.

I'm just worried they should be more frequent? Or even maybe I'm doing it too much? I know too many showers/bathes can be bad... Really unsure, and I'm always anxious about doing the best for him lol.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I give my Jasper baths (soaking, thorough) a minimum of once a week and during the hot weather she gets an outside hose shower almost every day. She has never had any kind of feather or skin issue.

I don't know much about cockatoos, but they do produce lots of dust and need very frequent showers/baths. Besides keeping that dust down with air purifiers and frequent showers will be much better for your lung health.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@Hankmacaw
Thanks for sharing your experiences!!
My other birds take bathes on their own when they want ( which is usually every 3-5 days ) so it's been a little test figuring out the ones that don't take bathes lol!

I do have a air purifier going in the bird room, which has cut down on the dust an amazing amount. Also provides a good 'white noise' for birdie bed time :) ( especially with my tiels and their night frights....)

I've been debating changing every week to every 2-3 days, but I'm concerned about taking away too much dust... I'll do some research and hopefully someone might know :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My vet says to bathe my birds as often as they will allow, and as soaked as they will get.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@Tiel Feathers
Thanks! Val is still getting used to the evil, dreaded spray bottle ;) but he seems to enjoy the showers themselves

@WallyLoopey
One of my birds would literally probably like showers all day... He loves them so much! :)
Anyway-thanks! I'm thinking I'll start giving them showers more often!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't think you can overdo it but I think once a week would be fine. The 'toos are so hard to really get soaking wet anyway. Here's a picture of Reggie and Kishka outside after a hose bath several summers ago. The outside baths are always easier for some reason!

DSC02628.JPG

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I let them choose and most of them choose between 5 and 10 days. It varies.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My vet recommends to spray them everyday! Which I honestly have a hard time keeping up with. I aim for a proper bath once a week for Zane and Echo hates water now so less for him. I think having his nose flush put him off, which is a real shame, because he use to love getting sprayed. :( I better go bath my two as they are going to the vets tomorrow

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@jmfleish
I have only managed to 'soak' Valentine once.... he ended up looking like a drowned rat!

Gosh you've got such cute little guys :)

I'm going to mix up the time between Val and co.'s showers. Try to see what they seem to prefer. Thanks everyone :) !

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If he could, Milton would live in the shower. He's obsessed with bathing and water. He will walk to the bathroom, open the door and proudly announce to whoever is in there ,"WANNA WET!"
While he's in there, he'll carry on "conversations" with the shampoo and bar of soap...when he comes out, he proudly screams, "I'M WET...YOU'RE WET...WE'RE BOTH WET!" over and over.

All that aside, Milty usually gets his "wet" 3 or 4 times a week. The one really nice thing about that is that Milty's feathers always are bright and "shiny"...:D

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually do it weekly but have sometimes sprayed them 6 days a week in the past. I always feel like I should shoot for at least 2-3 times a week in a perfect world.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I try to shower Dusty my corella once a week, but if its cold might miss it....in summer its often three times a week, as much for the cooling effect as cleanliness

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Well in the wild, parrots have a shower every time it rains. We give our Eclectus parrots 3 to 4 times a week.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Elvis & I have nightly routine. I ask him to step up and go shower. 97% of the time he comes along. Some nights he's not in the mood. I let him choose. I will say that he does like his showers and has only had positive experiences. I prefer he chooses to shower because after he is calm and serene preening his royal feathers.....AND leaves me be!:lol: