• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo scared of stepping up

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
Hey so I posted once about how my Galah cockatoo is very frightful and doesn’t like human interaction, and I think I figured out what is upsetting him, I’m just not sure how to get him to stop acting like this. Almost 2 weeks ago I tried something new with him where I basically had to force him to step up and I brought him in my room away from his cage. I sat down on the couch, and he calmed down and all he wanted was to be pet. He lets me scoop him up and sort of manhandle him, but I realized that he’s petrified of stepping up. I’ve been working with him, like giving him treats each time he steps up but usually he’ll just take the treat, drop it without eating any, and try to get off my hand. But 5 seconds later he’s trying to get me to pet him. So he’s not scared of hands, just stepping up and it’s really weird. I tried to think of maybe sometime he stepped up and fell or hurt himself, but nothing comes to mind. It’s just really confusing

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Hey so I posted once about how my Galah cockatoo is very frightful and doesn’t like human interaction, and I think I figured out what is upsetting him, I’m just not sure how to get him to stop acting like this. Almost 2 weeks ago I tried something new with him where I basically had to force him to step up and I brought him in my room away from his cage. I sat down on the couch, and he calmed down and all he wanted was to be pet. He lets me scoop him up and sort of manhandle him, but I realized that he’s petrified of stepping up. I’ve been working with him, like giving him treats each time he steps up but usually he’ll just take the treat, drop it without eating any, and try to get off my hand. But 5 seconds later he’s trying to get me to pet him. So he’s not scared of hands, just stepping up and it’s really weird. I tried to think of maybe sometime he stepped up and fell or hurt himself, but nothing comes to mind. It’s just really confusing
Take a step back. Reward him for getting near your hand. Reward for one foot. Most importantly, dont move him until he is ready. If you get the chance, pet him while he is on your hand. Just keep it positive, even if you have to go back to square one.

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
Maybe try training him to step up onto a perch/stick instead?
He freaks out the minute I open the door of his cage, and climbs to the corner to hide, and sticking a perch in to get him to step up just scares him even more, even if I’m being quiet and slow about it :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Will he come out on his own if you leave the door open? Maybe entice him with treats, but not with you holding them. Once he’s out have him step on your arm or a stick. Make sure you reward any desired behavior and never force him to do anything. I think you need to keep your hands away for now.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How long have you had this bird?
If he's freaking the moment you open the door, fear seems to be the main problem, and stepping up an escalation of it.
If his story is on AA, I've not read it.
Can you tell us a little about him and you.
Is he new? Did you raise him from a baby?
Let us who don't know him and you, gain some background information.
I've started wondering if maybe you're just moving too fast, pushing too hard with a bird that isn't there yet.
Knowing more will help us help you.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Too much too soon. Every time his door is opened he's thinking OH GOD WHAT'S SHE GOING TO DO NOW. You haven't had him long enough for him to trust you to go into his cage to get him. He needs to come to you. Open the cage door, and sit down, read or watch TV. One day he will come out to be with you. It will be a while because he's scared now. But it's not impossible.