• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Scams in Melbourne, Victoria

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
Hey guys,

Not quite sure what to do here, as I've tried reporting it to Wildlife Victoria and CrimeStoppers (and have a lot of others) but nothing seems to happen.
There's a group of people up in Melbourne known for capturing and selling wild Cockatoos and Galahs online in Melbourne (Australia). I've seen many people posting about this, saying they have purchased cockatoos or galahs, been informed later than they were wild, and then had their birds die or become ill from diseases such as PBFD. The post from Roxburgh specifically is from a very well known wildlife trader and the others seem to be following suit, all using suburbs in similar regions, the exact same pics in some cases, and different contact details. If anybody knows somebody to contact about this, please let me know!

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They need to go to jail. Within the same country or not, that's surely smuggling.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What makes you believe they are wild caught? Anything other than people posting and talking about it online? Have any of those people gone to the police or agricultural department?

If you know and have proof they are wild caught then I would be contacting the police to put in a report and also DEWLP. I do know there used to be a lot of breeders around two of the areas listed, they were not necessarily the best breeders (almost mills) who would have a lot of native babies each season.

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
What makes you believe they are wild caught? Anything other than people posting and talking about it online? Have any of those people gone to the police or agricultural department?

If you know and have proof they are wild caught then I would be contacting the police to put in a report and also DEWLP. I do know there used to be a lot of breeders around two of the areas listed, they were not necessarily the best breeders (almost mills) who would have a lot of native babies each season.
That’s a good point. I think I just got super mad seeing all these posts and basically just assumed they were all scams lol. Caught in the moment.
I know one in particular is definitely suss though as I spoke to another lady who had bought a cockatoo from them. She said apparently they don’t catch the birds themselves, but that there’s a wildlife catcher in the area who sells animals he catches and this guy apparently buys and tames them. Probably doesn’t make it much better though, knowing that there are wildlife rescuers who are literally selling wildlife..
I think I just assumed too as a lot of the write ups were very similar and their cages didn’t have anything in them, as if the sellers had bought them that exact moment, but I guess if they’re breeders there’s a chance they could have just purchased a small cage as well as incentive for buyers (free item).
I think a few people have reported the one wildlife rescuer seller so at least there’s something that’s being done about that one.
Thanks a ton for the advice!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That’s a good point. I think I just got super mad seeing all these posts and basically just assumed they were all scams lol. Caught in the moment.
I know one in particular is definitely suss though as I spoke to another lady who had bought a cockatoo from them. She said apparently they don’t catch the birds themselves, but that there’s a wildlife catcher in the area who sells animals he catches and this guy apparently buys and tames them. Probably doesn’t make it much better though, knowing that there are wildlife rescuers who are literally selling wildlife..
I think I just assumed too as a lot of the write ups were very similar and their cages didn’t have anything in them, as if the sellers had bought them that exact moment, but I guess if they’re breeders there’s a chance they could have just purchased a small cage as well as incentive for buyers (free item).
I think a few people have reported the one wildlife rescuer seller so at least there’s something that’s being done about that one.
Thanks a ton for the advice!
Some of the birds in those ads are actually considered to be in pest numbers in certain areas... I can guarantee you that many of those birds pictured in certain areas are killed in huge numbers depending on the area and their numbers for the growing seasons. I know of a few people who have had licenses on and off over the years to kill or trap a few of our native bird species same goes for roos.