• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Questions

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've tried once to pick up a 'too outside, on a dowel, and I could not hold it steady. How much do your 'toos weigh? I've also heard they can be explosive, how quickly do they go from 0-100? (if at all).
And i've heard you can tell their sex by eye colour? Whether it's lighter or dark? Is that a myth, and if it is, how can you tell their sex?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Her Royal Sassypants has gained some weight and is currently sitting at 560g. She starts to feel that heavy when I've been holding her for a while and my arm gets tired :roflmao:

I haven't really had her go 0-100 yet - it's only been 3 months (I swear it's been longer!) so we could still be honeymooning, but I think she's probably just an even keeled bird. It might be species dependant? I've read a lot that galahs are generally the calmest and quietest of cockatoos, and U2s are generally harder to predict as far as moods. I can't say for either, just my SC2 has been mostly stable.

I don't know if it's every species of too, but I know for SC2s, females are said to have eyes that are more reddish colored. Isadora's are a red brown, so I understand what's meant by the color. I don't know if that's all cockatoos though.

CAN YOU REALLY JUST GO OUTSIDE AND PICK ONE UP?!?!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Her Royal Sassypants has gained some weight and is currently sitting at 560g. She starts to feel that heavy when I've been holding her for a while and my arm gets tired :roflmao:

I haven't really had her go 0-100 yet - it's only been 3 months (I swear it's been longer!) so we could still be honeymooning, but I think she's probably just an even keeled bird. It might be species dependant? I've read a lot that galahs are generally the calmest and quietest of cockatoos, and U2s are generally harder to predict as far as moods. I can't say for either, just my SC2 has been mostly stable.

I don't know if it's every species of too, but I know for SC2s, females are said to have eyes that are more reddish colored. Isadora's are a red brown, so I understand what's meant by the color. I don't know if that's all cockatoos though.

WOW, 560?! Spearmint's only at 68g.
Let me know how her behaviour is in a few more months, i'm curious now. Yeah that's what I meant by the eyes, I notice some have reddish brown eyes as opposed to 'pure' black. We've got SC2's here, they're so pretty.

Pretty much! They're unbelievably tame here, and very outgoing. I've had one break through my window before. I never pick them up with my hands, their grip is so strong and I feel like they'd just grab hold and bite :lol: . But they will step up onto dowels for a treat! I'm working on target training one into a carrier as he's suffering from bad beak and feather disease, but to the point it's corroded his entire beak away and he's only ben able to eat via me feeding him crushed up food 'mash' in a bowl.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

I think one of them, who i've named Almond, might come around later. I can snap a pic for you if you'd like?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Each type of cockatoo is different. My goffin weighs about 315 grams. You also can't sex goffins by eye color. My foster umbrella is in the 600s I believe. You can sex umbrellas by eye color. My goffin is on 100 pretty much all the time. The umbrella goes from 10 to 100 very quickly. Those are my experiences - there are also galas, citrons etc. So each type is going to be different to a degree.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've got so many photos but i've got 'low disk space' because of all my photo storage :banghead::arghh:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That’s so amazing!!

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
His crest is so perfect :heart2:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm so desperate to go somewhere that birds like this are just... Everywhere.

I'm coming to Australia. Who has a couch I can crash on :roflmao:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
(Checking for updated "wild" cockatoo pics :geek:)