• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatoo Foot Bleeding

U2Love

Moving in
Hello,

I have a 1.5 year old female umbrella cockatoo. We noticed a while ago that she had white growths on the tips of her toes, so we took her to the vet. We were worried it could be mites, herpes, bumblefoot, or a number of things. The doctor did not seem too concerned and he gave us an aloe Vera cream to apply. He also said to change her perches out, so we did. We even bought her a new rope perch and java wood branches.

They don't seem to be getting better, so we are planning to take her back, but the tip of one of her toes is now bleeding a bit! I saw her biting it and then noticed it looks red inside. It is not profuse and she is still playful, perched, eating and drinking, but I am concerned because I've heard that bird injuries can get bad. It is late and there are no vets open to call. I live in Connecticut and I have to go to Mass to see the avian vet anyway. I put her to bed and I am afraid she will bleed over night. How often should I check on her? Should I take her to the emergency? If so, is there one around here?

Thanks for your help

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to stop the bleeding. You can put cornstarch on the area and then apply some pressure. If you can't get the bleeding to stop then you should get her to the vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is your vet an avian vet? Show us a picture of her foot.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cayenne pepper paste will help also, hold it on the bleeding with pressure for a few minutes,,,hope she's OK! Check her periodically during the night, but not enough to stress her out.

U2Love

Moving in
Hi, thank you for all your responses!! Yes she sees an avian vet. I just checked on her and she is acting normal. I picked her up and she doesn't have blood dripping or anything, and when she steps on my arm no blood rubs off from the toe. I do not want to disturb her for a while but I will post a picture soon. Her poor toes :(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
keep this set up for bleeding :
In film canister (I know old fashioned) I want you to put 1 tablespoon of either white flour or cornstarch & 1 tablespoon of cayenne powder. cap it tightly and shake it hard. it should stop the bleeding.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How is she this morning?

U2Love

Moving in
She seems to be doing well. She is playing and sitting on me. Her toe still looks very weird and I am worried about the underlying cause. I am going to need my husband's help to get a picture because she does not like to stay still and loves to bite phones.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I think her feet need to be checked by an avian vet especially since it bled.
What kind of perch does she have?