• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo as a first bird... I know, I know.

Which one to choose?

• Starter Bird

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Cockatoo

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I've always been intrigued by cockatoos. Ever since I way maybe, 7 years old when my mom's friend had an umbrella cockatoo named Hiawatha. I was told not to touch Hiawatha because he was an abused rescue who was very aggressive. But something about him made me want my own cockatoo, I couldn't explain it at the time. Fast forward 7 more years, and I'm still interested as ever on these beautiful birds. I've Never owned a bird (besides a couple doves when I was a toddler) and I think I might be ready to adopt one. I have heard they are messy, loud, and aggressive, but also they are some of the most cuddly, playful birds of them all. People will say get a cockatiel or conure at first, but others say to not get a "starter bird" that I don't REALLY love. So that's really what it comes down to... get a "starter bird" first, or go straight to a cockatoo. Also, if I do get a cockatoo it will be past sexual maturity, so I won't have to deal with all those hormones, except for seasonal of course.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I also forgot to mention that i'm home schooled, so i'll be with the bird all the time except maybe 1-2 hours a day.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
There is no starter bird. A cockatoo may be perfect for you. I recommend reading the good,bad, and ugly about smaller/larger 'toos.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I see you are in California, I'm moving to LA in 2 months, not sure if you live near there, but do you have any recommendations for places to get a bird/supplies?

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
I live about an hour or two away, Omar's Exotic Birds, and Exotic Birds by Fran is good. Those are in Orange County though... Maybe try googling some up? The Lily Sanctuary is a great rescue, though also in Orange County, but requires bird experience for the larger birds, like 'toos.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Minor, but as I said i'm and antisocial introvert who is homeschooled, so i'll have time for it. budget is $1000. My mom thinks they are cute, and my dad really couldn't care less. I've told them about how loud they can be, and i'll clean up it's messes.

Last edited by a moderator:

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I understand why it is important to rescue, I just don't want it to be scared and hate people.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are no starter birds.
I understand why it is important to rescue, I just don't want it to be scared and hate people.
That's a thread on here, I'll go find it. You may want to read it.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
That was a great story. But I just couldn't imagine doing that when I haven't even owned a bird... ever. Is it a bad idea to rescue in my circumstance? But I now see how rewarding it could be.

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
That was a great story. But I just couldn't imagine doing that when I haven't even owned a bird... ever. Is it a bad idea to rescue in my circumstance? But I now see how rewarding it could be.
Let the bird choose you. It is not a bad idea to rescue.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
@Hankmacaw may be able to help. Also @Cockatoo-Dust

There is no starter birds. And imo you should get a rescue. Why contribute to the already way too high number of birds in rescues?
And as a fellow minor, I am not going to recommend a 'too. What happens when you go on trips, or go to college? Also what happens when you can't afford vet or toy bills because you are a minor?
Also, one last thing. Cockatoos are loud. The one cockatoo at the Iowa Parrot rescue can outscream all of the 25 macaws, in pitch and decibels. All of your family members need to be on board otherwise you will probably end up giving the poor bird up to a rescue.
Just the harsh truth. However if you can do all of this, then I wish you luck. :)

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Is it a bad idea to rescue in my circumstance?
No! :) In fact the most rescues are so happy to finally have a home with good food and a lot of love so they are just thankful.
At the moment we have three macaws that we could read about here on AA that have been rescued and none of them are aggressive or have bad behavior.