• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo advice?

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
Now that I’m graduated, and my moms paying me to take care of our birds instead of working, I think that I want to take on a cockatoo.
I was planning to adopt an older one (not baby) so long as it doesn’t have behavioral issues.
Believe me I’ve done my research, I know that they’re not easy birds, but I’ll have all day everyday to spend with them, & I’m very patient when it comes to birdies.
Im also not scared to use most of my money towards toys, heathy foods, and whatever else they may need.
If I do end up getting a job, it’ll be a simple 4 hour part time job so I have extra money to save up.

The one I’m currently looking at is a healthy 7 year old, I think I can afford him and everything he needs.
I can buy him and still have 1,300$ left to buy him a cage & perches, toys.

Can anyone give me recommendations on the best cage I could buy within that range?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hmmm… I think a more fundamental question to answer would be what you want to do with your life.

Unless your mother is exceedingly wealthy, you can’t work for her forever because she won’t be able to float you for the next 60-80+ years. If she is, that’s no one else’s business. I just understand most people aren’t in that situation.

Having just graduated you’re at a crossroads in your life. The next 5-10 years will determine how you spend the rest of your life. Tying yourself down with a cockatoo I would consider to be an awful idea right now.

@tka usually has good life advice for young people with an academic perspective.

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
If I can’t stay home, one of my parents will have to. They intend to turn their bird breeding into a full time career eventually- they plan to open a pet/bird store someday. They’ve told me that if I decided to get a job, or when I go to college, one of them will stay home instead. Sure I may not be home or with my parents forever, but I will always have backup, and I’m not scared to change my life to accommodate them.
My birds are my world, and I’ve never found a passion in anything else, so if I’m able to I’d like to involve myself in them as much as possible.
If all else fails I also have my dad who doesn’t work, he gets paid thousands a month just to take care of his father, and he’s expressed that he would be happy to take a bird before.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Would you/your parents intent to breed the cockatoo?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
IMO this sounds like a terrible idea, at least for now.
You are all over in what you'll do 'if' something happens.
You are also counting on everyone else to support you and your bird to a large degree.
A cockatoo may well be in your future, but I don't believe you're ready for one just yet.
These are birds that easily live in excess of 50 years.
Birds with such emotional and psychological needs that most people can't meet them.
You need to experience life much much more before committing to such a relationship.