• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Adventures

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness that's so tragic I'm so very sorry

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm so sorry! It's killer when something like that happens :(

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took Kiwi to Sonic with me yesterday to get drinks for the store. He mumbled on the way over and when the person came out with our drinks he spread his wings and said Hi Kiwi ! He’s been a little more crazy than usual the last few weeks. It’s that time of the year and someone gave him a small rubber duck to play with. He goes crazy over it and if you get too close he will lunge at you. Yesterday afternoon he was holding the duck in his beak and kept leaning out towards one of the girls like he wanted her to take it. She grabbed it and pulled him right onto the floor where he immediately went after her feet. She didn’t get bit but she did go running. I just leaned down and picked him up.

IMG_8968.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My little girl Daisy May came in today. She's still naked, but she's still sweet as can be. There is an amazing bond with her daddy and while I'm still a favorite, he is the love of her life. I was welcome to hold her and scratch her head while she made kissing sounds, but anything more than that was no longer allowed. Only her daddy can touch her back or her belly. I can live with that because she's a happy girl and they love her to death. We sat together for a while when one of the African Greys she lives with was being groomed. She tried her hardest to convince me that the chocolate cupcake I was eating was poison and that she would gladly eat it for me. I still call her my naked chicken girl, but she loves her daddy and I couldn't ask for more. Here she is on his arm, striking a pose right before she had her nails done.

IMG_8982.jpeg

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
@BrianB I know your store very well!! My Red Bellied (also Daisy Mae, but not a cockatoo!) came from your store in November last year. As soon as I saw Sonic, and that you were in AZ, I knew where you were. We're up there almost every weekend....I will look for you next time we're in!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s great! Stop by and say Hi. I won’t be here this weekend but starting next week I’ll be back in the store on Friday and Saturday.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I've spoken about a cockatoo surrendered to us a few years ago. The bird had a VERY colorful vocabulary. I finally figured out who he went to and I spoke to her today because she's bringing him in for boarding. I asked her if he was still as rude as he was before and she said he no longer bites everyone, and he's not cage aggressive anymore. However, when he's really mad at her he will say something terrible. She works from home and has an office on the second floor. Both of her birds are in cages downstairs. The cockatoo will call out to her and usually, she ignores him during work hours. Eventually, he gives up and leaves her alone. One day, in particular, he kept saying "Come here" and finally she said no, I'm working..... I can't even type what he said in reply, but he yelled back at her to do something vulgar to herself and then called her a female dog. She said she had to go into the attached bathroom and close the door so he didn't hear her laughing. Her African Grey never says a bad word, and the cockatoo is like a sailor.

I'm constantly telling people not to teach their birds to swear but there are times I wish Chewy could say what I'm thinking so I can blame it on him and not get in trouble for it.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know whether to laugh or not at this particular cockatoo story :lol:but yes it's a common practice to teach cussing words to pet birds. I have tried to convince people against it many times.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a constant struggle with customers over this. They think it's the funniest thing ever but it just makes life hard for the bird and it's not the bird's fault. Sometimes birds come to us with a bad vocabulary, like this bird did. The new owners try their best to deal with it and some are better than others. I think she's done a great job with this bird considering his early life circumstance. There are times when you can't help but laugh about it, just don't do it where the bird can see or hear it.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I never knew people taught it to their birds on purpose, I always thought the birds learned because they were frequently used around/at them. That’s also a possibility of course but teaching them on purpose is just horrible. I glad the sailor cockatoos owner could laugh about it though! It does sound funny but also very sad. It must be challenging if they use their bad words at the wrong time when other people are around etc.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
After volunteering at the clinic/ rescue and seeing birds come in with "potty" mouth. So many of them did not find new homes because of their learned behavior of swear words. It would break my heart into a million pieces knowing that they would never have home because of some fool teaching swear words.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today was rough. We had an old Muluccan cockatoo boarding with us. I don't know the details but her mom had to travel and had no choice but to board her while she was away. She had a wing amputated at some point in the past and had been suffering from cancer. Her owner knew that the end was coming and made us aware of it when she brought her in. She started to decline yesterday and we were able to get her mom on a video chat so she could see and talk to her. We moved her into another room that was a little quieter, but she passed early this morning. I noticed that the store owner had gotten to the store an hour before I'm usually there. I don't work on Sundays and wasn't aware that she had declined. The store owner didn't want me to be the one to find her. I appreciate that, but it was a hard way to start the day. The death of a boarder is rare and it's been years since it happened. These things throw everyone off. It's nothing against the owner. Life sometimes forces people to make choices they don't want to make. It's just sad that the old girl passed by herself and away from her people. All of the macaws were super loud today. It's like they were grieving too.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted this on the store's Facebook page yesterday. Kiwi will sometimes take a colored block of wood and put it in his water bowl just to put some color in his feathers. Sometimes we call him Kiwi the Drag Queen because he will have purple or blue streaks all over himself. Yesterday he put a yellow block in the water and did this to himself. At least he did it evenly and didn't have streaks of yellow all over the place. His favorite toy vendor makes the blocks he uses and she only uses bird-safe colors on her products.

IMG_1064.jpeg

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That’s actually super cool!

Do cockatoos do this to make themselves more attractive to a mate, or is this just a “him” thing?

DonnaC

Moving in
Kiwi the psycho cockatoo has surprised me again. Yesterday he lunged at one of the employees as she was walking by, so I picked him up and chastised him, then put him into a nearby cage. We usually do this in the afternoon when the display area is cleaned. It's too easy for him to snap at someone when they walk by with a broom or something. Kiwi cried for a while and about an hour later when the cleaning was finished I took him out of the cage. He put his head down and let me scratch it for a few minutes, then he quickly climbed up onto my shoulder. I have never trusted him up there because of his tendency to bite ears. I was making a run to the nearest Sonic to pick up drinks for everyone and I went to the owner so she could take Kiwi. She said that since he obviously likes me I should take him to Sonic with me. She knows his behavior and trust level better than I do so Kiwi went with me. Before we left the store I pointed at his face and warned him that he had better not bite me or we were going to have words. It was only 15 minutes but he was on his best behavior. He didn't even scream any bad words while he was outside. I was hoping he would at least once because it was a busy day and I needed a laugh. We got back to the store and he stepped off to his momma without a problem. He has earned a little bit more of my trust, but I'll never forget who he is.

View attachment 405039
Hi I have a question. My cockatoo is also a problem child. When Kiwi goes after someone or lunges at someone how do you pick him up to put him in time out? I’m trying to do this with my monster but when this happens he won’t step up- I end up having to pick him up with a towel.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hi I have a question. My cockatoo is also a problem child. When Kiwi goes after someone or lunges at someone how do you pick him up to put him in time out? I’m trying to do this with my monster but when this happens he won’t step up- I end up having to pick him up with a towel.
Can you use a dowel rod to get him to step up?