• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
Hi I have a pair cockatiels they are almost 3 and they mated and the female laid 5eggs so far I have some questions so they free roam my house sleep in cage at night but since she laid the eggs she wants to come out of cage and eat and fly then goes back in but when she comes out the male wants to come out as well he won’t stay in and sit on the eggs so I been leaving them in the cage but she gets mad and screams at me so how long in a day can the eggs go without one of them sitting and she won’t let him feed her she rather come out and eat on her own instead which sometimes he goes in but she will kick him back out what should I do just take the eggs and incubate instead and she started laying on the 17th of this month and been laying every other day.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Do they have a nestbox? It could be that the spot where she laid them is not suitable for incubation. I've never incubated parrot eggs, only chicken and ducks. You might find more information by posting in a bird breeders facebook group, there's not a lot of active members on this site that breed birds.

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
Do they have a nestbox? It could be that the spot where she laid them is not suitable for incubation. I've never incubated parrot eggs, only chicken and ducks. You might find more information by posting in a bird breeders facebook group, there's not a lot of active members on this site that breed birds.
Yes nesting box and I will check that out thanks.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so how long in a day can the eggs go without one of them sitting
It will depend on the temperature in the room. If it's warm they can leave the nest for a while and go forage, eat, fly. I don't think you could keep one caged against their will while the other is out. If after a half hour or so there's no one on the eggs, you can coax them back to the cage with some millet or their fave treats to get them back near the nest.

what should I do just take the eggs and incubate instead and she started laying on the 17th of this month and been laying every other day.
If you are able to incubate the eggs, that's great that you have the equipment. If you see the parents abandon the nest (not returning for a very long period), you can pull the eggs to incubate. But really that is a last resort. It is not a common thing for breeders to incubate cockatiel eggs.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she started laying on the 17th of this month and been laying every other day.
I just looked at the calendar. Personally, I would let them out to fly together, and if they don go back to the eggs, I would just remove them and discard. They're very new eggs, the ones laid more recently won't have any life developing in them yet. And your birds will learn for next time. If you upset nesting birds, they tend to abandon nests out of frustration. That can also turn on one another and fight.
Happy parents make better parents :)

@Tiel Feathers

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
Thanks all good answers I dont think she wants to abandon the nest because she goes back in after 10 minutes and I was scared for them because when she leaves the nest so does the male but when she goes back to the nest he does to and they never leave the nest for more then 15 minutes and I was worried because she won’t let him feed her she rather go out her self and all the eggs have life so far.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is ok for her to leave for short periods of time. The eggs will be kept warm by the bedding around them and the warmth from one egg to another while the hen is out.

Wishing you luck with your clutch :)

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
It is ok for her to leave for short periods of time. The eggs will be kept warm by the bedding around them and the warmth from one egg to another while the hen is out.

Wishing you luck with your clutch :)
Thanks I just didn’t know how long she can stay off the eggs I just don’t know why she won’t let him feed her she rather go out herself but since I been leaving them both in the cage that seems to be working when she comes out he goes in and when she is done she goes back in and they are both sitting on the eggs.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrots don't sit on the eggs non-stop until they hatch. There are periods when they leave the nest to feed or relieve themselves. This isn't a bad thing and as long as the eggs don't get chilled they will be fine. My cockatiels are in and out of the boxes constantly. Sometimes the males and females switch places. Sometimes they are both out to eat and drink. It isn't unusual at all.

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
Parrots don't sit on the eggs non-stop until they hatch. There are periods when they leave the nest to feed or relieve themselves. This isn't a bad thing and as long as the eggs don't get chilled they will be fine. My cockatiels are in and out of the boxes constantly. Sometimes the males and females switch places. Sometimes they are both out to eat and drink. It isn't unusual at all.
Thanks because she seems to get mad when I don’t let her out and she comes out eats and goes right back and she seems to want to be with them more and not let the male with them alot