• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels with very stringy white urates.

Mike S

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mike S
I brought my 2 cockatiels to the vets a couple days ago and they are on Metronidazole 50mg and Ciprofloxacin 50mg. for 14 days. One started having a lot of clear liquid along with very stringy urates and green poop. The other cockatiel started having similar issue.... but very minor.
The doctor is board certified in avian care and I been going to her for over 24 yrs. She's very easy to talk to and I usually have good results with her. She said she hasn't really seen a lot of cases with super stringy white urates. She did a gram stain and some other test. I was wondering if others on here might have had similar issue with their birds. Thanks!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
stringy urates I believe is a potential sign of a bacterial infection. Perhaps ask for a culture to be done?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'd like go know why they were initially started on antibiotics? What was suspected? What were the symptoms?

I would think 2 antibiotics are possible to cause a yeast overgrowth. Green loose still would make me think that. Very lively could need antifungal.

I wondered about ciprro causing c. Diff, but metronidazole is typically used to treat. So...
But as I learned is possible I'm sharing link

Mike S

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mike S
stringy urates I believe is a potential sign of a bacterial infection. Perhaps ask for a culture to be done?
She did a gram stain, not sure if that qualifies as a culture.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Updates?