• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels Just Started Breeding

PikaBean

Checking out the neighborhood
I have 2 cockatiels, Pikachu (male) and Bean (female), and they've never bred before recently. The male's previous owner actually got rid of him because he wanted a breeder bird, but Pikachu wouldn't breed, so I took him. But yesterday the two of them mated, and then when I woke up this morning, he was banging his beak on the cage bars, and then they mated again. I wasn't expecting this because I thought 1. He wasn't a breeder and had never done anything like this, and 2. they didn't seem entirely bonded. They do get along well and don't really fight, but will hiss over food sometimes, (even though I do have two bowls, they only like one for some reason) and I haven't observed them preening each other.
I have noticed both of them climbing to the bottom of the cage recently and chewing at the bars, and my female will climb around chewing like she's trying to shred the bars. Is this nesting behavior, and should I provide her with a nesting box? I actually wouldn't mind if she were to lay eggs, (I do know that it's a lot of work, especially if the parents aren't nurturing to the chicks.) I'm new to this, just not quite sure what I should do in this stage, if and when she will have eggs, signs of that, and what I could do to make this easier for both of them. Any tips would be appreciated :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Exact same situation for me! Male and female, not that bonded, started mating recently. Only difference is mine don't seem "nesty" at the moment...fortunately!

I'd strongly suggest not putting in a nest box or encouraging them to breed right now. A nest box is only required if you want babies. Otherwise they are happy to just mate without producing offspring. You just have to change out any eggs either for fake dummy eggs (available online) or boil them and put them back. They'll sit on them for a bit then abandon them. No harm done for anybody, happy birdies, back to enjoy the bliss of a kid-free life LOL.

As you said, babies are a big responsibility. I am not experienced enough to note everything it entails (and you probably have already read around) but I do know you have to really want to do it to hope for any kind of success. Long-term preparation and planning is key. You should be into it 110%. Basically it's a nice idea, but best left to the experts.

There are threads around her about toning down hormones. They might be worth a look. Basically no dark, enclosed areas, longer night time hours, healthy diet, all these can help!

If you really are fully into the idea and can't be dissuaded, you might want to chat with @Zara :)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a recent one:

PikaBean

Checking out the neighborhood
Exact same situation for me! Male and female, not that bonded, started mating recently. Only difference is mine don't seem "nesty" at the moment...fortunately!

I'd strongly suggest not putting in a nest box or encouraging them to breed right now. A nest box is only required if you want babies. Otherwise they are happy to just mate without producing offspring. You just have to change out any eggs either for fake dummy eggs (available online) or boil them and put them back. They'll sit on them for a bit then abandon them. No harm done for anybody, happy birdies, back to enjoy the bliss of a kid-free life LOL.

As you said, babies are a big responsibility. I am not experienced enough to note everything it entails (and you probably have already read around) but I do know you have to really want to do it to hope for any kind of success. Long-term preparation and planning is key. You should be into it 110%. Basically it's a nice idea, but best left to the experts.

There are threads around her about toning down hormones. They might be worth a look. Basically no dark, enclosed areas, longer night time hours, healthy diet, all these can help!

If you really are fully into the idea and can't be dissuaded, you might want to chat with @Zara :)
Thank you! I read the thread and realized what I was doing wrong, I think the lights are on too often and it's probably causing them to be hormonal lol. I'm going to be giving them more hours of darkness now and see if that helps. I don't really want babies if it's preventable, though, so that's good that it's avoidable. I was just really looking to see if I had to do something about it, I'm not really looking to be a breeder, I'm perfectly happy with my 2 birds lol. :) Thanks again for your help!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! I read the thread and realized what I was doing wrong, I think the lights are on too often and it's probably causing them to be hormonal lol. I'm going to be giving them more hours of darkness now and see if that helps. I don't really want babies if it's preventable, though, so that's good that it's avoidable. I was just really looking to see if I had to do something about it, I'm not really looking to be a breeder, I'm perfectly happy with my 2 birds lol. :) Thanks again for your help!
We'll get through this together! :rofl:

Although I swear the time I caught them at it was a fluke because he hasn't worked out how he got on the first time and hasn't managed it since :lol: