• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels carriers of chlamydia?

HannahBean

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has heard of cockatiels being silent carriers of chlamydia, the bird chlamydia I mean? And if so, I’m guessing that would potentially put other bird species, more susceptible to it at risk of getting it.
I ask because a while back my budgie had to be put down from what my vet said was a mega stomach bacteria. Later, upon reading the notes, it mentioned, mega bacteria, or chlamydia.

I was thinking of getting another budgie, but I have to pause for a minute because I’ve read that the cockatoo Family can be silent carriers of chlamydia. Has anyone ever had something like this happen with their flock? Has anyone heard of this?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’ve never heard this before. I have a tiel and he’s been around a few different birds, plus has had his own vet check up and blood work and fecal check - he’s not a carrier. Not unless it’s invisible :roflmao:

I’m sorry to hear about your parakeet, but if the vets notes mentioned chlamydia, you really need to get your cockatiel checked. I do know it’s extremely contagious between Birds and can cause a lot of problems. @Pixiebeak wrote a phenomenal thread regarding her experience with chlamydia in her flock. I’ll find it and link it here!

Edit - Here you go!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Any bird of any species can be a hidden shedder. Cockatiel and budgies are mentioned having higher incidents of this. The majority of cases of active sick with symptoms of Avian Chlamydia I've seen in forums hsve been Cockatiels.
Its probably partly due to less veterinarian care by small bird breeders that often have large numbers of pairs or aviary situations. Plus its a lit mire difficulty getting blood work safely done on little guys. 2 of my vets just won't take blood on budgies especially one thst appears healthy just for screening...poop tests are less accurate due to intermittent shedding and hidden non active.

Frankly most parrots have probably been exposed to it at some point in their life. Many get over it without symptoms and never know , some becoming chronic shedders. Younger, older, and stressed burds more likely to have active infection.

Any active infection with symptoms must be treated or death is a possibility. Any testing postive without symptoms are also treated. If one burd in the home has ALL must be treated at the same time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have always done chlamydia tests on all my birds because my vets have said they can all be carriers, and can make us humans sick. So its become part of my routine testing for new birds.