• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels are perhaps the perfect bird

macawww

Hit the Road
As someone who has owned both large and small parrots and has a lot of experience with many species, cockatiels are perhaps the best "pet" bird for most people. As in, it's the bird species I'd recommend to most people who want a bird (although first I'd recommend something easy, like a cat or a dog... or a small child)

Why? They have all of the intelligence, charm and personality of their cockatoo counterparts, but are small a lot more "simple." If a cockatiel is depressed, it often "just" needs more interaction and stimulation and a better diet. However I've worked alongside larger birds who have everything a bird could need and a huge plucking problem. Also, cockatiels do bite but they won't make you lose a finger... they also tend to warn you if you watch their crest, a lot more clearly than some of the other parrot species. They tend to be the cuddliest of the parrot species also, making them better pets for most people who aren't used to pets you don't, well, pet. The only downside to cockatiels is hormones (which, at least in my opinion, are nothing compared to male amazons for example...) and the dust, which an air filter deals well with.

Thoughts?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm... in my experience, children are a ton of work. And my dog is also a ton of work. I've heard of cockatiels plucking/hurting their mate. I don't know if it's common or not. Some people really can't handle the dust either.

I met my first cockatiel the other month. It was definitely the most charming stranger bird I've ever met. I'll give them that. :heart:

There's a bird for every bird person, but if we just concentrate on which parrot species overall adapts best to captivity, it would be the humble budgie. :)

macawww

Hit the Road
Hmmm... in my experience, children are a ton of work. And my dog is also a ton of work. I've heard of cockatiels plucking/hurting their mate. I don't know if it's common or not. Some people really can't handle the dust either.

I met my first cockatiel the other month. It was definitely the most charming stranger bird I've ever met. I'll give them that. :heart:

There's a bird for every bird person, but if we just concentrate on which parrot species overall adapts best to captivity, it would be the humble budgie. :)
The children and dog thing was a tongue in cheek joke about how all parrots are extremely difficult... agh, budgies are one of the only species I actually have zero experience with. My parrot rescue I volunteer at unfortunately doesn't take them as there are so so many of them surrendered, they are at a separate dedicated location...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We are all so different and we all have rather different experiences with certain species which I feel affects how we perceive them in the future.

I personally would never want to own or care for a tiel again.
I did not find them to be a match for me at all and have known of too many others with the same feeling after their first one or after baby sitting one.

Cockatiels were and are honestly my least favorite bird to keep especially any that are not the original kind (plain old greys).

I have to agree that the weeny budgie is probably the bird I would recommend the most to many as they just fit into so many varied situations and still flourish but I do always warn of the constant chatter as some find it charming and others do not.

macawww

Hit the Road
We are all so different and we all have rather different experiences with certain species which I feel affects how we perceive them in the future.

I did not find them to be a match for me at all and have known of too many others with the same feeling after their first one or after baby sitting one.

Cockatiels were and are honestly my least favorite bird to keep especially any that are not the original kind (plain old greys).

I have to agree that the weeny budgie is probably the bird I would recommend the most to many as they just fit into so many varied situations and still flourish but I do always warn of the constant chatter as some find it charming and others do not.
Honestly shocked at this! Could you expand on why your experience was so negative? Was it health problems or their temperament? I do find my tiel is the least active of my birds, and the most prone to becoming a bit lazy, my gcc is the most mischievous and my macaw is a middle ground, but personality varies widely on an individual basis

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I personally would not want another for the following reasons which I have also found many others also have issues with regarding tiels:

1) They are horribly dusty- I have a macaw and I also have asthma so I would never allow one in my house for the sake of our breathing health.
2) Possibly on par with my number 1 reason is that they repeat many of the exact same noises over and over and over again (like a broken record) and it is always at that perfect pitch to drill right through your head- I have a lot of issues with certain tones or noises and repetitive noises at the tone of tiels is really a nightmare for me (I silence every clip I am ever sent of them to watch)- if I was deaf and they lived outside I may well enjoy them and have a whole flock as I do love the look of the originals.
3) All of the most neurotic birds I have ever met were tiels.
4) I am not a fan of all the mutations at all which happen to be getting more and more popular- I like the plain old natural grey ones to look at very much.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
My two cents is my tiel is perfect for me at this time of my life.

I work full time but he is happy all day with the radio and two budgies for company.

He pretty much goes along with whatever I want to do. If I am fatigued and watching telly he will tuck himself up for a nap on my hand or shoulder.

If I want cuddles he will squash up close to my face to listen to me talk to him. If I want space he will zoom around with the budgies.

He loves bedtime and just puts himself away when he is tired usually when I am tidying up or showering.

When I have guests over he engages with them within a few moments. A very social non aggressive creature to live with.

I live in an inner city apartment so 2 budgies and a tiel is a nice little compact family for me.

Just because I am in my mid thirties now his slower more chilled approach to life just complements my mental space so well.

I love my budgies dearly but I purchased one from a childhood memory and I feel for me I don't need such a hyper friend. So I bought a second budgie and they seem to enjoy that without seeking anything more socially.

Best of all he could live for 20 or 30 years so our bond is just going to get closer and closer.

I can't speak for anyone else but my tiel exceeded my expectations in that I view him as my best friend and at the end of the day I can't wait to get home to him.

I love his little pink feet, I love how he poses, I love his weird warbling and whistling. I can't imagine how I lived without him.

Whatever anyone thinks they can't say he isn't perfect for me :)

My darling boy...

20230120_182004.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
We are all so different and we all have rather different experiences with certain species which I feel affects how we perceive them
I completely agree.
Maybe the cockatiel is a popular fave, but there are some people who are just not cut out for living with a cockatiel, but are perfect people to care for a macaw or amazon.

1) They are horribly dusty
That would be my reason for never bringing one home.
My lovies are as dusty as I would wanna go.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

I 100% agree with you

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I personally would not want another for the following reasons which I have also found many others also have issues with regarding tiels:

1) They are horribly dusty- I have a macaw and I also have asthma so I would never allow one in my house for the sake of our breathing health.
2) Possibly on par with my number 1 reason is that they repeat many of the exact same noises over and over and over again (like a broken record) and it is always at that perfect pitch to drill right through your head- I have a lot of issues with certain tones or noises and repetitive noises at the tone of tiels is really a nightmare for me (I silence every clip I am ever sent of them to watch)- if I was deaf and they lived outside I may well enjoy them and have a whole flock as I do love the look of the originals.
3) All of the most neurotic birds I have ever met were tiels.
4) I am not a fan of all the mutations at all which happen to be getting more and more popular- I like the plain old natural grey ones to look at very much.
Again 100% agree with everything you said

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I would never own tiels again it’s not even about the dust it’s the noise screaming it definitely for me hits a new level even when i walk into a pet shop it’s them that I can hear most
Yes budgies chatter constantly but I find it a nice little song
My lovebirds can be loud and heard outside when all four start but it’s not anything like my tiel was and my lovebird play with toys entertain themselves my girl just screamed to be let out then just scream flying around or sat on her play stand

macawww

Hit the Road
I would never own tiels again it’s not even about the dust it’s the noise screaming it definitely for me hits a new level even when i walk into a pet shop it’s them that I can hear most
Yes budgies chatter constantly but I find it a nice little song
My lovebirds can be loud and heard outside when all four start but it’s not anything like my tiel was and my lovebird play with toys entertain themselves my girl just screamed to be let out then just scream flying around or sat on her play stand
Interestingly enough my cockatiel makes no noise whatsoever, only soft chirping when she's happy which is so quiet I can't hear it with low volume music on.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Interestingly enough my cockatiel makes no noise whatsoever, only soft chirping when she's happy which is so quiet I can't hear it with low volume music on.
Your lucky then I thought it was me but when I rehomed her she was same and even had a cockatiel friend was a retired couple who had all time in world for her but still had her screaming times

Barbs

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I don't mind the noise. Actually, once I started knowing them better, I found a lot of different tones. I could always recognise which tiel was "talking" from his particular tone (apart from Freddy who is learning to copy the raucous voice of Sam).
Since I had my first one, my true love, my life has been so much happier. I love them dearly and I find them incredibly interesting.
I used to have a huge flock, sadly I lost all but one in a few months and now I only have Sam and Freddy (who has been rescued from a bad living situation, and only because Sam was letting himself die of solitude... 2 birds are not a number I like), and I miss the noise and the confusion and the mess they all together made, I miss everything of them.
I fostered several different species in the past, but apart from an adorable caique who stole my heart I never felt the connection I have with my tiels.
It's true, every person is a different bird person. Still, it is difficult for me to understand how someone can dislike cockatiels so much... I am biased of course :heart:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It 100% depends on the person. Some might find cockatiels noise very bothering as it quite high pitched and repetitive at times, and the dust is SO much, definitely not good fore mor sensitive poeple or even other birds. Our cockatiel fits in perfectly, but some would definitely not want him. His bite is also extremely prickly compared to our other birds since his beak is so sharp. He also attached to one person, which upsets my sister. Cockatiels are a good bird, but not the right fit for everyone :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Everyone has different likes and experiences with different birds, but I too think cockatiels are pretty perfect. :heart: Don't get me wrong, I love my cockatoos. Adore birdsitting my friend's lovie, etc. But in general, cockatiels are sweet, easy birds. I don't find them to be that dusty. (But I have an umbrella right now that is REALLY dusty.) I don't find them to be loud- but again- I live with cockatoos. I have never been bitten by a cockatiel. (And I have been bitten by just about every other bird that I've had/fostered). And they're cute. :D (Scooter thinks he's really, really cute. ;))

Scooter.jpeg

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Scooter is adorable! The noise from most female cockatiels are not at the same level of loudness , or constant vocaliziations as the males, in my experience.