• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

COCKATIEL

Colleen Fortin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Colleen
Rescued a neglected cockatiel . Left in empty home for days by his owners. New renters didn't want him after month and a half. Paint on cage chipped away and it was rusty. Feces caked at bottom of cage. He could barely move for his size . This sickened me to my core!! Poor boy must have had a rough life. I immediately purchased new cage and good. He came nameless to us so we have named him Bogart. He lives next to 2 budgies in our living room with us. He so afraid of the hand. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor dear! Thank you for taking him in. :heart2: Not knowing what his history was like before he was abandoned, there is a chance he may never be a hands-on bird, but I bet he will quickly learn that you bring good things. If nothing else he has friends now and is not alone. :)

But you know... bribes can influence a little birdie's brain & he will see if you drop goodies in his bowl, and may learn to come take them from your hand. ;)

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
BOGART!! :heart::heart::heart: He's such a pretty boy.
Don't get discouraged if he takes his time coming around. Tiels are very sensitive, emotional birds.

He sure does look excited about his new tiny buddies, though! Just be careful with them. Budgies often wind up picking on tiels.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He sure does look excited about his new tiny buddies, though! Just be careful with them. Budgies often wind up picking on tiels.
:eek: I would have guessed the opposite since 'tiels are so much bigger!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
:eek: I would have guessed the opposite since 'tiels are so much bigger!
Tiels are generally more docile and less energetic than budgies. :p Ciri used to try and pick fights with my lovebirds. Even Guzma knew not to hop on her cage.

Budgies go for the toes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing Bogart. Best thing is to take things slow. Don't force him to step up. You can talk to him in a calm soft voice and even read to him. Sit nearby when you are eating something and if it's bird safe food share that with him. Tempt him with special treats. Be patient. I would recommend that you take him to the vet for a new bird check up.

Colleen Fortin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Colleen
Thanks all for encouragement. Slow and easy with Bogart.

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
<3 I rescued my blue crown conure out of a similar situation. He was in a cage too small even for a Canary. He peeled all the powder coating off his cage bars, they were rusted, feces under neath, small dowel perches and 1 chewed toy. Plus he was kept in a basement covered with a blanket :(

I am so glad you rescued Bogart!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if he doesn't end up being a hand tamed cuddly bird, you know you are giving him the absolute best life ever and he will be so happy with you <3