• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel won't eat pellets, but eats all vegetables and seeds I've offered

macaronish

Hit the Road
I've been offering my cockatiel harrisons adult lifetime super fine, she won't touch it! She does however eat carrot, broccoli, peas, dark leafy greens, boiled egg and all sorts of Cooked grains, red cabbage and will even nibble on apple slices I hang from her cage as chew toys. She also loves millet obviously and sunflower seeds and will eat almonds if I chop them up

Is she OK to not eat pellets if she eats a large variety of raw and cooked foods or should I try a different brand?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You can try different brands and flavors. Tteok won’t eat Roudybush, but will eat Zupreem - but only certain flavors, and even that changes occasionally. I ended up buying a few different flavors and mixing them together and he picks out what he likes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It took me three years to get Ripley to eat Harrison's. He took to Zupreem almost immediately. Harrison's has been a very hard sell to most of my birds, but ALL of them have eaten Zupreem FruitBlend to start

macaronish

Hit the Road
It took me three years to get Ripley to eat Harrison's. He took to Zupreem almost immediately. Harrison's has been a very hard sell to most of my birds, but ALL of them have eaten Zupreem FruitBlend to start
Maybe it's because harrisons is lower sugar so not as tasty? Lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried nutriberries? A lot of cockatiels will eat those easier than pellets. They are also softer than pellets.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're in the UK, your bird is not getting enough sunlight for vitamin D. I would highly recommend pellets that provide a supplement (i.e. not TOPS).

Personally I've had success offering Roudybush and Psittacus. I order both from Scarlett's Parrot Essentials. They both offer a variety of sizes so pick one suitable for your species.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Psittacus is currently Ripley's favorite :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My tiel will eat roudybush and zupreem. I got my 3 year old budgerigars to eat pellets by first , grinding the pellets then sprinkling a small amount of dust on the veggies, eventually adding more dust every few days, as long as I noticed they were still eating the veggies. It took 3 weeks to transition them to full pellets, but they were not super fussy birds.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Most of us would say you're fortunate that your bird is enthusiastic about fresh foods. Try serving them wet and sprinkle some pellets on them. Hopefully, some will stick and that might entice your bird to try one. Be patient: it took me a decade to get my Amazon to switch to natural pellets vs. dyed.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
(i.e. not TOPS).
I'm curious... why not?

I had to transition 3 lovebirds to pellets. One only took a few weeks, the other like month. But our last one took 4 months to get there. I followed the advice of my AV where you give them 3 times a day seeds for 15 minutes. And the rest of the day there are only pellets they can eat. All while you weigh them every few days. If they show any interest you only offer seeds 2 times a day. And slowly but surly transition.

There are a lot of vitamines they will miss and you have to add to their diet if they only eat seeds and vegetables. But a lot of people do it successfully. One big one is vitamin A deficiency. Vitamine D I believe they only get when they eat the right food in combination to getting light from the sun.
It doesn't hurt to keep trying.

I've had Beaphar and NutriBird to get them interested. I've given them Roudybush for a while. But since a few years I give them Psittacus. A good pellet that is also very well received by my flock.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfiltered sunlight is a natural source of vitamin D3. The only way to get this is through being outside - windows filter it out. So even if a bird is kept in a bright, sunny room, if the windows are closed then they can't synthesise their own vitamin D3 and will become deficient.

However, the sun is not the only source of vitamin D3; it is also effectively supplemented. If a bird (or human for that matter) is not getting enough unfiltered sunlight of an adequate strength, then they need a dietary supplement. Most humans in the UK and similarly northern latitudes are low on vitamin D3 during the winter - those of us with dark skin can get significantly deprived and suffer health consequences. I would always urge someone who lives somewhere with dark winters and/or whose bird does not get natural, unfiltered sunlight to feed a fortified pellet (and, to be honest, to consider their own vitamin D3 intake).

TOPs claims to contain a natural source of vitamin D3 but I'm not convinced that it contains enough to satisfy the requirements of a bird through a dark winter with little natural sunlight.

I also feed Roudybush and Psittacus and am happy with how my birds are on them. I like feeding a couple of different types of pellet with different textures and tastes to ensure that my birds don't get too used to one thing and won't eat other pellets. This also helps ensure that all nutritional bases are covered.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Unfiltered sunlight is a natural source of vitamin D3. The only way to get this is through being outside - windows filter it out. So even if a bird is kept in a bright, sunny room, if the windows are closed then they can't synthesise their own vitamin D3 and will become deficient.

However, the sun is not the only source of vitamin D3; it is also effectively supplemented. If a bird (or human for that matter) is not getting enough unfiltered sunlight of an adequate strength, then they need a dietary supplement. Most humans in the UK and similarly northern latitudes are low on vitamin D3 during the winter - those of us with dark skin can get significantly deprived and suffer health consequences. I would always urge someone who lives somewhere with dark winters and/or whose bird does not get natural, unfiltered sunlight to feed a fortified pellet (and, to be honest, to consider their own vitamin D3 intake).

TOPs claims to contain a natural source of vitamin D3 but I'm not convinced that it contains enough to satisfy the requirements of a bird through a dark winter with little natural sunlight.

I also feed Roudybush and Psittacus and am happy with how my birds are on them. I like feeding a couple of different types of pellet with different textures and tastes to ensure that my birds don't get too used to one thing and won't eat other pellets. This also helps ensure that all nutritional bases are covered.
Mine eat these
C6A0FA6E-FBF1-4BE6-ADCE-7277E98C0A7D.png
pico came to me on them I’ve tried Harrison’s he on and off with them but all eat them apple pie still trying

are the ones you have posted better ?

sorry to butt in post

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine eat these
View attachment 420880
pico came to me on them I’ve tried Harrison’s he on and off with them but all eat them apple pie still trying

are the ones you have posted better ?

sorry to butt in post
Yes, it's a complete diet, is fortified, and unsweetened. I'd feed this if I could persuade mine to eat it. As it was, there are some very well nourished geese at my workplace.

@Mizzely has a very thorough overview of pellet brands here

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Yes, it's a complete diet, is fortified, and unsweetened. I'd feed this if I could persuade mine to eat it. As it was, there are some very well nourished geese at my workplace.

@Mizzely has a very thorough overview of pellet brands here

Thank you I’ve ordered ones you have suggested will have a read of link

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry, meant to say that Hagen pellets are good! However, if you can get them eating a variety of pellets, that's even better. Sometimes there are supply issues (especially since Brexit) so it's good if they're used to more than one type of pellet.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Sorry, meant to say that Hagen pellets are good! However, if you can get them eating a variety of pellets, that's even better. Sometimes there are supply issues (especially since Brexit) so it's good if they're used to more than one type of pellet.
Oops oh well I’ve ordered them now :lol:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Pretend to eat them and offer them to her at the same time. Many parrots will mimic their human or grow more interested in what you're eating.