• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel won't bathe

tatiailia

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rose
I've had my cockatiel for about seven weeks now, and in that time she hasn't bathed at all. I've tried basically every type of bath I've found online but she's not having any of it. She's scared of being misted and running water, I've put large, shallow dishes of water out for her but she'll avoid it if it doesn't have leaves in, and just perch on the edge and eat them if it does. Maybe there's just something I'm missing, if you have any advice I'd be very grateful. She's coming up to six months old and I want her to have a more comfortable molt.

tatiailia

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rose
Just an addition, I've also tried varying the temperature of the water, but that doesn't help either.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is she trusting of you yet?

Many birds still haven’t fully settled in to their new home in the time frame you mention and they won’t bathe if they feel uncomfortable or vulnerable.
Also, some birds love to bathe at every opportunity and others are not very keen on bathing.
Many prefer to bathe when there’s a bit of noise- I hear the vacuum cleaner is a bathing trigger for many birds lol.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about a wet lettuce leaf (like iceberg). Some birds like bathing in them - sounds weird, but worth a try!

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Just wondering, how are you misting her? Most parrots prefer for the mist to sprinkle down on top of them, not sprayed directly at them. It can take a few moments for them to begin preening and fluffing up their feathers. If the bird is scared of the bowl or spray bottle, try to desensitize them to it first. Often times it is simply a lack of trust, or a bird not feeling entirely comfortable with its surroundings, as @Shezbug mentioned.