• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures cockatiel won’t sleep with cone on

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
hello, my cockatiel is 8 months old and he has a scab on his wing. we got him a cone and i would say he only has it on 25% of the day. the other 75% i’m watching him. but he’s supposed to have it on when he’s sleeping. he is refusing to sleep. he just keeps throwing himself off his perch crying and trying to pull it off himself. last night i had him sleep with it and he literally slept all during the day yesterday. i’m at a loss on what i should do. i know he likes to preen at night and that’s why i want to keep it on, i don’t need him picking off his scab:rockby:

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh how stressful for you both :(
Just wondering if the sock trick would work for him and maybe be a little more comfortable.....of course it may be just as distressing for him with his wings squished right beside him all night too as I am sure it would have to interfere with balance.
Hopefully some of the other members who have had to deal with this sort of thing will be along soon to offer some advice :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Peachfaced @Mizzely I can not think who to tag even though I know a few members have been through this and have had to try different versions of collars

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
Oh how stressful for you both :(
Just wondering if the sock trick would work for him and maybe be a little more comfortable.....of course it may be just as distressing for him with his wings squished right beside him all night too as I am sure it would have to interfere with balance.
Hopefully some of the other members who have had to deal with this sort of thing will be along soon to offer some advice :)
thank you :) i’m not sure if he would like that, i feel like he would hate it even more than the cone itself

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do remember other members have not used their normal cage or perch height for the birds that have had to wear collars. Some of them had the birds perch down quite low so there was nowhere to actually fall to, they put the birds in their carrier on a low perch or made up a hospital cage. All with padded floor

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I've never had to collar either of my birds. Maybe @Garet knows?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Can you bandage/wrap the wing instead of a cone? Still uncomfortable but not like a cone. You can always re wrap the wing if he chews at the bandage (because he will). The cone is one of the most stressful things a bird deal with. Anything else is better IMO.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have a question who designed that cone your vet it seems to me it was designed wrong for a cone it looks too thick Anconas are not normally taken off until the scab is healed

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's too big, maybe a little shorter, but not short as he can pick his wound. A different cone, maybe a plastic donut type? Or, like John says, wrap the wing, or a Cape type protector like another suggested?

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
Can you bandage/wrap the wing instead of a cone? Still uncomfortable but not like a cone. You can always re wrap the wing if he chews at the bandage (because he will). The cone is one of the most stressful things a bird deal with. Anything else is better IMO.
i’m not sure how i could wrap the wing as it’s the inside of his wing.

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
I have a question who designed that cone your vet it seems to me it was designed wrong for a cone it looks too thick Anconas are not normally taken off until the scab is healed
my aunt did, her cockatiel used that cone when she would pick her feathers and she’s letting me use it.

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
It's too big, maybe a little shorter, but not short as he can pick his wound. A different cone, maybe a plastic donut type? Or, like John says, wrap the wing, or a Cape type protector like another suggested?
his scab will heal in not more then a few days so i don’t want to go out and get more cones because by the time i’ll get one he’ll be all better